Sierra Gearcase Oil - Gone black quickly

pcaker

I put Sierra Premium Gearcase Oil grade 90 in the gearcase of my 2016 Merc 90 OB, and 2 years later and max 100 hours of running, it is black as coal. However, there is absolutely no trace of metal shavings in the drained oil. I can't understand why it has gone from golden to pitch black so quickly, what is causing the blackness? How concerned should I be? I don't remember this happening with Mercury oil, following similar change interval. When I changed the Sierra engine oil at 2 yr/100 hr intervals, it still looks golden.

I thought that stuff was kinda a grennish/blue color?
coorrect me if wrong? I know this new stuff im using for the zuk goes from yellow to a slight green, every oil is differnt depends if its synthetic or semi or normal I can only assume...
Also a tip My mechanic said change all the oils at end of season and put fresh stuff in so you know if there is a problem and your engines dont sit for the winter ...

change your oil every year and you will be fine
Good advice of course, but still like to know what is happening to the oil? I only cruise at max 3,800 rpm/22 mph. Could exhaust be over-heating the oil ? - though obviously outboard design would mitigate this.

Single or twins? My counter rotating side did that for the first 500 hours but now both sides are the same. I use Sierra as well. 1800 hours now.

Back