Side scan... is it worth the extra bucks?

Prfisher

Hi folks. Haven't posted in a while, but I'm looking for advice. It's time to upgrade my trusty old HDS 5. Looking at the new Eagle series from Lowrance.
I spend most of my time fishing deep. Seldom do I have less than 200' out on the riggers. Often, a lot more. From what I've read, it looks like side scan would be pretty useless in those depths. But... I sometimes crawl along the edge of a kelp bed or close to shore, in shallower water.
Would the "triple shot" transducer with side scan be worth the extra bucks in that situation?
I'm not completely sold on the Eagle, so if anyone wants to steer me in a different direction I'd be grateful for the input.
Budget? Not much more than $1,000.00. Less is good too!
Thanks... Dan

I do not know much about the eagle series but Cabellas have the hds carbon on sale again. Great unit. Will work with your transducer and comes with the 3-1 transducer and has navionics card. Highly recommend this unit had 2 on my Houston and loved them

You cans plug both transducers into it and select what you want deep your original and shallow, side on the 3-1.

Most side scan transducers are meant for freshwater and pretty much useless in the salt. Furuno makes a saltwater side scan, you’d be looking at $2k - $3k just for the transducer - plus the cost of the compatible MFD AND the DFF3D blackbox.

I use it in the lake. It’s effective to about 120’ out, after that it’s mediocre at best. Haven’t had a chance to try it in the salt but could be alright for finding fish holding closer to shore

side scan is great in the salt. it will show details on the rocky outcropping, or what side of the boat has the bait ball on it. you can also see depths as you approach shallows or outcroppings.
the 3 in 1 is a great transducer IMO. med chirp shows great detail when im draging plugs at 300ft

Thanks for your input, guys. I went ahead with the Eagle 7 with the triple shot transducer. Best bang for the buck, for what I need. Will finish the install tomorrow and go for a test run before Monday. I'm looking forward to seeing how useful the side scan will be in shallower water & how the performance compares with the old HDS.
Cheers. Dan

Back