Shorelandr' trailers and kodiak disc brakes?

Sharphooks

I have a 4,600 lb Shorelandr Trailer fitted with aluminum UFP calipers that are starting to stick and heat up my rotors. I'm thinking of stripping the trailer clean of all the UFP fittings and replacing with Kodiak SS calipers and dacromet coated rotors.

Does anyone out there know their way around a Shorelandr' axle system? Will I have to replace the axles to accommodate the Kodiak set up?

I may have read somewhere that Shorelandr' has a proprietary flange that will only accommodate UFP fittings unless one changes out the entire axle

thanks for any comments out there

sh

Here is a manual for the 4600 lb model that you say you have (not sure it it's bunks or rollers but I assume they are the same axles).

http://www.midwestindustries.com/documents/manuals/SL Trailer Owners Guide.pdf

I can't tell from the Kodiak site (very nice stuff by the way) but I can't see why they wouldn't work.

http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/index.php?option=com_productbook&func=viewcategory&Itemid=51&catid=1

Which kit are you thinking about?

If Shorelandr has a proprietary flange that is not a good business move.

Cheers,
John

Shorelandr is a common trailer, so I would call Kodiak I am pretty sure they could answer your question. I just finished installing Kodiak brakes with s/s tubing on my trailer - good luck.

hey, thanks for the comments, Gents. I was planning on installing the Kodiak 2/HRCM-10-DAC-SS (SS calipers but dacromet rotors )---not sure I want to spend the $$ for both SS rotors and SS calipers

I hear Kodiak is the way to go --- the UFP calipers (aluminum) I think are better suited for freshwater applications.

BTW, nice rebuild on your trailer, Sculpin--very helpful to see the pictures of what you did.

My triple axle Trailrite manufactured in Socal ran UFP disc brakes on ran 4 of the 6 wheels
Transport Can. requires all wheels to have brakes, So similar route that sharphooks is under taking
I ordered a set of Kodiak disc brake package in the same bolt pattern for the center axles
Had to return them cuz the caliper mounting bracket was not modifiable due to the offset
In the end I opted to match the existing discs to UFP. Very happy with the product, kinda suks though no UFP dealer locally but all the part #s are the same & will just get um online south

Good luck sharphooks
Len

On my last trailer, A dual axle Shorelander with rollers & drum brakes
I eventually tired of the drum brake maintenance & bought the SS brake from Nikka, not very heavy duty, only 8in dia. rotors but was perfect for my application, can't remember the brand but the brake issues was maintenance free for 3 years till I sold the GW

Kh

Last edited by a moderator:
I"ve owned 2 Shorelandr's and have a 5800lb one now. Did the brakes last spring...you can buy any discs you want they don't have any special flange. I bought disc made by Tie Down Engineering...they're Eliminator Series Vented Disc. Cheaper than Kodiac's. The original UFP's lasted 7 years and these appear to be a better set, so plenty of life and some savings on the wallet.

IMO if you mod to an upgrade of disc brakes get the max diameter rotor for ID of the wheel as betta braking on rolling mass in centrifugal braking

Kh

Yo, very much appreciate the comments, Gents.

I just got quoted $400 per axle for 10" UFP's (aluminum) which is more or less within spitting distance of the 10" Kodiaks (SS).

If there's no issue with axle flanges, I'll probably step up for the Kodiak stainless calipers (with the Dacromet coated hubs). The cost is more, but they're my security detail for some really precious cargo

To quote Lorenzo Bandini (who might have said this just before wrapping his Ferrari around a light pole in Monaco):

..."your life is on your tires..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Most EZ-loaders with Disc are Kodiac, they are a way better product then the tie down crap. The discs are thicker and disapate heat better.

Not sure if heat build up on any rotor on a boat trailer brake system is a major consideration. Unless your dragging the boat around Daytona behind Jeff Gordon. Any rotor will outlive the other components of the brake system. More often it is the pistons in the calipers that will start to stick in the bore. A combination of lack of continual use and worn pads both create conditions for pitting on the pistons surface. (even stainless) This causes them to seize in the bore. Replacing the pads every season will help as this keeps more of the piston further back in the bore where they are protected. Otherwise as the pads wear the piston is drawn further out of the bore to pick up the lost thickness.

My triple axle Trailrite manufactured in Socal ran UFP disc brakes on ran 4 of the 6 wheels
Transport Can. requires all wheels to have brakes, So similar route that sharphooks is under taking
I ordered a set of Kodiak disc brake package in the same bolt pattern for the center axles
Had to return them cuz the caliper mounting bracket was not modifiable due to the offset
In the end I opted to match the existing discs to UFP. Very happy with the product, kinda suks though no UFP dealer locally but all the part #s are the same & will just get um online south

Good luck sharphooks
Len

I cannot seem to find any literature that states all trailers' wheels need to have breaks...? did I misunderstand what yu were saying? I ask because Im looking at importing a tandem axle with brakes on only one axle...

Here you go.
Motor Vehicle Act Regulations
[includes amendments up to B.C. Reg. 234/2011, January 1, 2012]

Division 5 — Brakes

Trailer brakes
(3) A trailer shall be equipped with brakes at each end of each axle, but brakes are not required

(a) on one axle of a house trailer that is equipped with more than 2 axles,
(b) on any axle of a trailer other than a towing dolly if the licensed vehicle weight of the trailer
(i) is 1 400 kg or less, and
(ii) is less than 50% of the licensed vehicle weight of the vehicle by which it is being towed,

(c) on any axle of a towing dolly towed by a motor vehicle where
(i) the aggregate of the net weight of the towing dolly and the gross vehicle weight of the motor vehicle one axle of which is being carried by the towing dolly does not exceed 1 400 kg, or
(ii) the motor vehicle towing the towing dolly has a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of the aggregate of

(A) the net weight of the towing dolly,
(B) the gross vehicle weight of the motor vehicle one axle of which is being carried by the towing dolly, and
(C) the gross vehicle weight of the motor vehicle towing the towing dolly,

(d) on any axle of a motor vehicle one axle of which is being carried by a towing dolly, and

(e) on any axle of a trailer that consists of a piece of construction machinery towed by a truck where the truck has a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of the aggregate of the gross vehicle weights of the trailer and the truck.

(4) Brakes with which a trailer is equipped shall
(a) when applied be adequate to maintain control of the trailer,
(b) when applied not affect the direction of travel of the trailer, and
(c) where the licensed vehicle weight of the trailer exceeds 2 800 kg, be capable of being applied by the driver of the motor vehicle towing the trailer from his normal seated position.

(5) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a motorcycle shall be equipped with a brake on each wheel in contact with the ground, other than a wheel attached directly to a sidecar, and the brake on a rear wheel shall be operated by a right foot control, except where the motorcycle has a motor that produces 3.75 kW or less, in which case the rear wheel brake may be operated by a control mounted on the left handlebar.

(6) Brakes and coordinated brake control are not required on a motor vehicle with gross vehicle weight less than 2 800 kg which is being towed by
(a) a commercial vehicle with gross vehicle weight rating over 5 500 kg, or
(b) a rubber tired road building machine such as a motor-grader with normal operating weight rating over 5 500 kg,
provided that the aggregate weight of the combination does not exceed

(c) the gross vehicle weight rating of the towing motor vehicle, or

(d) in the case of a rubber tired road building machine, the registered test weight in the compliance testing of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1473 brake performance standard.

(7) Brakes and coordinated brake control are not required on a towed motor vehicle that has a laden gross vehicle weight less than 2 000 kg and that is less than 40% of the gross vehicle weight rating of a motor home towing it via a tow bar.

[am. B.C. Regs. 69/59, s. (j); 46/67, s. 10; 226/67, s. 4; 205/72, s. 6; 343/77; 459/77, s. 2; 256/84, s. 6; 257/96, s. 1; 109/97, s. 1.]

Back