Shore fishing Sturgeon

• Thread starter Thread starter brycemcl
  • Start date Start date
From what I've read recently in the Van Sun, right under the Alex Fraser Bridge is a great place for a shore lunch.

"According to the DFO, Han Ly and Raymond Ouyang paid $7,500 each after pleading guilty to molesting and injuring a sturgeon, and possession of a dead sturgeon. Hung Nguyen and David Boriboune also pleaded guilty to molesting and injuring a sturgeon. Boriboune was fined $3,500 while Nguyen was fined $3,000. Ly, along with a fifth man, Charlie Tran, both pleaded guilty to fishing without a licence and were fined $500 each.

The men, who were also banned from fishing for one year, were caught by conservation officers in August 2008, under the Alex Fraser Bridge cooking a sturgeon over a camp fire. Remnants of other mutilated sturgeon surrounded the area as well. Photos of a man shoving his fist inside a sturgeon's mouth were also seized by the officers.

A separate incident under the same bridge in 2008 led to a man being fined $5,000 in May 2009 for possessing a 1.5-metre-long sturgeon cut in half and shoved in a garbage bag.

Another case this year involved a man caught at the Kerr Street docks in Vancouver with a cut-up sturgeon hidden in the trunk. He received a $2,000 fine and a five-year fishing prohibition."

There are many places where it is possible to shore fish for sturgeon. Just West of the Hatzic hole on the #7 East of Mission there is a pulloff with access down to the river, good success there to be had. Mouth of the Stave is good as well as is two bit bar when the tides are right.
Under the Patullo Bridge is good as well.

Good luck

Getbent

there's no sturgeon near the Patullo bridge...:D

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

nice fish
thanks for the info guys it won't be till march or so anyway
is there any spots I could take a little zodiac out then just beach fish?

As mentioned two bit bar in Abbotsford is fairly constat for small fish in the 2-4 foot range..... last weekend a couple caught there on roe........

Also good is the wharf across from Derby Reach, (haney wharf??), deep water and produces good fish at times, also if you walk up from Derby Reach above the top, there is a couple of nice spots there..... biggest problem from shore is all the snags!

Or even better yet, sweet talk someone witha boat to take you out and get totally hooked on this fishery!

Mike

Recently I discovered free time on my hands and the Hubs and I opted to go fishing. We flipped a coin which means if I win, we go flyfishing, if he wins, we go bait (ack) fishing.Cue the Snake River and the all mighty Sturgeon fish. There’s a huge difference between flyfishing in a softly moving river for trout, size 12 to 20 inches vs. taking on the black swirling vortex of potential death called the Snake River and all that lives out in those evil waters.

szstur.jpg

fsh2sizd.jpg

Back