shimano technium mooching rod

Fixit

thinking of getting some new rods this year.

are the m106m2 too light for downrigging? or should i get the meduim heavys?

I've got both. It's not too light for the downrigger but If you are going to be fighting decent size to large springs with it you may want to go with the MH's. The M's I like more for coho, sockeye, smaller feeder springs etc..

Got the MH myself and it's got enough sensitivity for smaller fish. Feels more like a medium but with balls.

I prefer the mediums for local vancouver waters. Pinks and coho are more fun that way
I agree, and for when the Sockeye are stacking at the Fraser mouth, and for smaller feeder Springs I use my M's...when the larger Springs start to show I put the M's away. Another thing to note is if you are fishing heavy tides, down deep on the rigger with the line set back further on the release clip you will be pulling the M's around in a full circle to get it to release of the clip if it's a smaller fish and not releasing it on it's own. Not a big deal but it is noticeable on those occasions.

you will be pulling the M's around in a full circle to get it to release of the clip if it's a smaller fish and not releasing it on it's own. .

Try just turning on your downrigger and bringing it up.
It will release if it's a fish of any size.
Best to NEVER jerk your rod to release the pin.
Stresses the rod and line and totally unnecessary.
Just one mans opinion.

Try just turning on your downrigger and bringing it up.
It will release if it's a fish of any size.
Best to NEVER jerk your rod to release the pin.
Stresses the rod and line and totally unnecessary.
Just one mans opinion.
Yes I do that when not stacking and not when there's a fish on the line. With fish on the line and stacked, and raising it in the clip you can get quite the jambalaya of lines going on with a fish on it.

I have four or five of the medium weight Techniums and love them. If you are going to be fishing the hi-way or at greater depths, the medium heavy might perform a wee bit better........:) Having said this my goto rod is an 11' Sage.......

Medium heavy for the west coast of V. I.....I have caught 2 50+ lb. Hali's and a 65 while trolling the sand...hooked into something bigger but could not budge him! Rods withstand trolling into free floating kelp patches...not that I look to troll into them but tide lines hold more fish

I have 5) of the MH and are a bit heavy in my opinion but would rather have be a little heavier rod than too light though. Get into a decent Spring you will need the MH. I went with the guide model which have stainless guides so no worries with breaking or cracking glass line guides. Just one less issue to have to deal with.

Back