Shannon Lake West Kelowna

Big Green Machine

Buddy and I took the pontoon boats over to Shannon Lake in West Kelowna this evening and we had a lot of fun landing dozens of small, Smallmouth Bass on the fly. Floating line with Poppers and foam grasshopper patterns cast towards the weed beds and then stripped in fast near the golf course produced non stop action. Biggest fish was about a pound, but there are bigger ones in there near the bottom but we couldn't get them to come into the shallows. It was windy so we had to be strategic. Lots of people fishing from shore and a few boaters as well. Great fishery for kids if you can get on the water and fish after dinner. 5 minute walk from the parking lot to the put in.

Had the Go Pro ready but actually never had a chance to strap it on the hat and get some footage.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375066698.477252.jpg

I fished the lake a TON when i was younger. Almost every night in the summer time while in highschool. Won a tournament and placed in the top 3 in a few more. Used to have a 12ft tinny stored there at friends house on the lake. My biggest bass was about 6 lbs and it had just eaten a bird! Ive still got 2 soft boxes full of bass gear if youd like to use some of it. No fly gear though.

yup Shannon Lake as a kid was what we did as well.

Grew up in Westview Village Trailer park on the highway. We used to carry my 8 food wood row boat across the highway and up the trail. Once we got to Ensigns alfalfa field we would float it on top and drag it across the field then carry it the rest of the way up and over the hill,under the fences and to the lake. Man that was a grind looking back at it. No golf course and only a few houses back then. Golf course came while we still fished it and we also got some good action at that end. Always found the big ones on the side across from what is the parking lot now.

We used to catch Bass and perch. Ya got me beat Fisher_Dude my biggest from the late 70's early 80"s was 5lb 4oz. We never ate too many from the lake as they where muddy and the water was warm. Always enjoyed winter ice fishing the perch and having a big fire out on the ice all day long. Come to think of it that was a grind as well LOL we had to chip through a foot or two of ice with a hatchet as we had no ogger. I heard they dumped a bunch of trout in there as well in recent years is this true?

Ah good times for sure. Thanks for bringing back some good memories from a simpler time

Cheers:Ray

Yes, they stock it was Rainbows quite heavily in the Spring for a kids fishing program, then once June hits, they remove the netting and the fish are free! Not sure the trout last though, the water was 74 degrees!

Back