SEARUN CUTTHROAT

HI BABINE.IN REPLY TO YOUR QUESTION MARK CONCERNING STAMP. I MEANT THE RIVER STAMP.AS I NOW LIVE ON THE RIVER I WAS KIND OF CURIOUS IF THERE WAS A RUN OF CUTTHROATS THAT GO THROUGH THE RIVER.

The Stamp gets steelhead. I don't know about sea run cutthroats. There are probably a few around but I don't think they stock them there, do they?
I am more aware of Sea runs on the east coast of V.I.

Pennel: First, hit that little button on the left of your keyboard called "Caps Lock" before you post. Posting in all capitol letters is akin to SHOUTING on these Forums. Thanx ;)

To your query - Yes, there are a few sea-run cutthroat that utilize the Stamp, few being the operative word. I have rarely heard of any being caught much upstream of the confluence with the Sproat, however have myself caught a handful in that latter system when pursuing steelhead.

The Sproat system (lake included) has resident cutthroat, sea-run cutties, rainbows and a rainbow/cutthroat hybrid in addition to steelhead. Usually you only see steelhead and the odd sea-run in the river that winds down to the Stamp, but rarely any of the others.

The Stamp mainstream also has a few resident cutthroat as well as a few "residualized" (never leave the freshwater) steelhead. Again, these numbers are small.

Great Central Lake at the head of the Stamp has the same mix, although the trout do not seem to hybridize nearly to the extent that they do in the Sproat. There are some HUGE cutthroat up there if you know where to look - boat a definite requirement;)

So, while they are there, I wouldn't suggest this is a "good run" by any means. Hit and miss, and almost all I have heard of were incidentally caught while fishing for steelhead. Not likely sufficient numbers to target on.

BTW: Make sure you have your steelhead stamp, even if your main target is cutties. This system is pretty much oriented to steelhead this time of year, and methinks the CO ain't likely to fall for the "I'm simply fishing for trout" line as an excuse not to have that.

Good Luck if you end up chasing the sea-runs. Let us know how you make out if you do...

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
Nog

I flyfished upper Stamp many years ago, have caught and released several small cuttroats in summer evenings. Bigger cuttroats in the Stamp are very hard to catch but bigger cuttroats still exist.

I flyfished upper Stamp many years ago, have caught and released several small cuttroats in summer evenings. Bigger cuttroats in the Stamp are very hard to catch but bigger cuttroats still exist.

Back