Scotty vs Cannon Downrigers

BigHog

I've been a Scotty user for ever but have a chance to purchase MAG 10's at a really great price. Looking for some feedback from users out there on both sides. I plan on using 15 pounds balls and I stack lines and run a charter boat.

I believe that Charlie on this site runs them, but with 12's. Give him a PM... he is a wealth of knowledge.

I run Cannon Mag 10s and find them slow. Also one of mine does not auto return, which is a pain in the butt. There is no repair depot on the Island that I'm aware of. They operate well enough though, although I'm not to sure of the voltage output, it states that it has the perfect fish attracting level, but I can't confirm that myself as I have not been fishing all that often of late. I will be replacing them with Scotty's asap. eman

It depends on exactly what you are buying. Which model? Are they the current models and NEW... or are they the older (very slow) used MAG10 models, which I really would NOT recommend the later?

I actually do (good memory) prefer running 12 pound weights; however, my MAG20's will handle and are rated up to 20 pounds. Those older MAG 10's are lucky to handle 10, let alone 15 pounds. Before buying Cannons, I would recommend going to their websidte and figure out what you are actually buying. The MAG20's have been discontinued and they don't offer anything above the Magnum 10STX-TS - which I would recommend and buy! Nog and I both run MAG20's. His are newer, mine are 1995 models and I haven't had any problems. They are completely different than the "OLD" MAG10's.

If they are not the current models, and are the older MAG10's... I would personally PASS!

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on exactly what you are buying. Which model? Are they the current models and NEW... or are they the older (very slow) used models, which I really would NOT recommend the later?

Strongly agree with that Charlie! Those older 10's were indeed painfully slow! An exercise in frustration.

The MAG20's have been discontinued...

Didn't know that. Bummer! The Tournament Series Mag 20's are literally the Cat's Behind! Haul a 20 pound ball with No issues, and I've had but one minor problem with them (plug issue) since I've owned them.

I've run both Scotty's and the high end Canons. Prefer the latter, better built, gear drive, built in Ion Control (and yes, that works) and More Power (Tim Taylor would approve!).

Tried out the new Scotty's last season. They forgot to inform us of the issues these had built in, and we saw 3 failures within a week of purchase. And... so much for "customer service" from them! If we hadn't had our own back-ups on hand, we would have been down for the 2+ weeks it took for them to fix the issues and get them back to us. In contrast, on the only occasion I had a problem with the Canons, I had a replacement in hand within a day (which btw I got to keep even when the original made it back! VERY Sweet!).

Charlie has offered you some excellent advice! Make SURE you understand which model you are looking at before jumping in!

Cheers,
Nog

Scotty....local product, sold across North America. I think that's a pretty solid endorsement. I think resale wise, people in BC would say Scotty is superior. Nothing wrong with new Cannon's from what I've read, but they look ugly. Ya ya I know I'll insult someone. Sorry. My view....

The Cannons are the new MAG 10 STX version. I'm quite aware of the Scotty reputation as I have been running the electrics since it was legal to do so. I like the Scotty's but have a chance to try the new Cannons at a discounted price. Not concerned about resale value but service is an issue for sure as over time these things will fail. If the mounts were the same it would be a no brainer to try them out.

Would that be the... Magnum 10STX-TS? Or the Digi-Troll 10 TS?

FYI, one of the problems with Cannon is they don't break and they don't need serviced. So, as a result retailers realized they weren't getting enough warranty work to justify keeping that factory trained authorized warranty tech. Just something to think about, you can find Scotty authorized warranty all over the place!

What warranty issues have I had on my three MAG 20's since 1995 - NONE. What problems have had since 1995, in all those years - I have replaced three corroded plugs and one rubber boot on my adjustable Possitive ION control (does Scotty even have that?), other than that - NONE! How many times have I had to take my Cannons in for annual service - NONE. How much have I had to spend on those parts and belts for the Scotty annual service - NOTHING! FYI... Cannon fixed that corrosion problem with the "plugs."

All I can say is, if that are those models, they retail for UNDER $799.00 US all over the place. Not wanting to get into any drawn out debate, however, if one buys a "top of the line" Cannon... they will never go back to anything Scotty has on the market, right now! AND... that is a "right now"!

That's the kind of feedback I was looking for Charlie. It's good to hear your success story with the highend Cannons. I'm not sure if the MAG 10's qualify as highend but the lack of warranty issues is great to hear. I will end up buying 3 of these units just in case one fails. Can't be down during the season. I really like the removable spool on the Cannon so if your wire snaps you can just put a new spool on while out on the water. The positive ION is something I'm not sure I believe in. Have had black boxes on a couple of boats and the odd time you can say it works but that's it.

I assume they are wired similar to Scotty with inline 30 amp fuse? I think I used 14 gage marine grade wire on my last boat. Not much of a run to the batteries. Might run a fuse block this time to tidy up everything.

Me? Check that owners manual! If running two, I personally would install a block right off the battery switch. That way which-ever battery is chosen (and charging) will be the one running the downriggers.

I have twins, so all my batteries are being charged as long as I am running both engines! Mine are wired from a DC main box - always hot. Two off one re-settable and the other with its own re-settable. Just like factory recommended. Check the owners manual - 14 gage might be a little light.

Just for clarification... I orginally listed the "Magnum 10STX-TS." That is one of the two I am referring. I added the one that I would highly recommend, which is - "Digi-Troll 10 TS" to my last post. The latter is a little pricey; however, someone using them... has entered a whole new world of fishing! They are the ones that are very nice and WELL worth that extra investment. Just ask Nog! :)

And just to make sure we are talking about the same type of downriggers as the term "MAG 10" is being used. These are NOT "MAG 10's" I am referring. The whole "MAG" line was discontinued several years ago. I personally, do NOT, would NOT, and will NEVER recommend "MAG 10" to anyone, especially any guide!

...The positive ION is something I'm not sure I believe in. Have had black boxes on a couple of boats and the odd time you can say it works but that's it.

There very much IS a reason every single commercial troller on our coast (of which I am one) employs what the sporties refer to as a "Black Box" to control the voltage gradient down below - It Works! The science has been done, and the proof is in the holds at the end of the day. The Positive Ion Control on the Canons is basically the same thing, and I can assure you, does work just like the equipment on the troller does. The Jury is NOT out on this technique, it has been well proven over the course of decades of fishing off the West Coast.

When The Bite is on, you may not notice much of a difference, but when Scratching, you certainly will!! :D

Cheers,
Nog

Bollocks.... Just use braided wire... ;):p

Bollocks.... Just use braided wire... ;):p

20.gif
Certainly! Guess the combined experiences of the entire WC troll fleet amounts to nada!
1.gif

I used mag 15's this year with 10lb balls and the only issues we had were of our own doing. We spliced on the scotty lock plugs and they're all good now. I'm leary to stack on them due to the auto-stop feature tho.

I will say this, power down is way easier to set when you want an easier release and you don't bury the line in your release clip.

Back