scotty mounting plate install idea

kingblazer84

Ok, so im trying to finish my boat up here and trying to get my rigger mounting plates on my gunwales. I've hit a little snag and thinking of a couple options just seeing, if anyone thinks this idea of mine will work without putting too much stress on the top of gunwale. There is 2 raised edges inward and outward on the gunwale, and im thinking of bolting through the inner raised section then spacing with 1/2" starboard and bolting through the flat portion of the gunwale. Trying to not buy the scotty gunwale mounts if I can.

I've attached a crappy drawing of what im describing lol

Attachments

• mount idea.jpg
    mount idea.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Here's what I made for our Hourston. Inboard bolts were in shear. Corners were radiused before installing so it wasn't a sharp spot sticking out. Your plan will be much cheaper if you aren't set up to weld stainless though, a lot better than a chunk of plywood as a shim. I've seen it where the shim can block water draining aft, I'd avoid that.

I'm glad the gunwales were flattened out on our DE, it's way nicer for mounting downriggers.
PXL_20230510_043753972.jpgPXL_20230510_043743567.jpg

Ok, so im trying to finish my boat up here and trying to get my rigger mounting plates on my gunwales. I've hit a little snag and thinking of a couple options just seeing, if anyone thinks this idea of mine will work without putting too much stress on the top of gunwale. There is 2 raised edges inward and outward on the gunwale, and im thinking of bolting through the inner raised section then spacing with 1/2" starboard and bolting through the flat portion of the gunwale. Trying to not buy the scotty gunwale mounts if I can.

I've attached a crappy drawing of what im describing lol
I have used PE cutting boards from the dollar store as backing plates for my boat seats. No issues, less $ than Starboard

Here's what I made for our Hourston. Inboard bolts were in shear. Corners were radiused before installing so it wasn't a sharp spot sticking out. Your plan will be much cheaper if you aren't set up to weld stainless though, a lot better than a chunk of plywood as a shim. I've seen it where the shim can block water draining aft, I'd avoid that.

I'm glad the gunwales were flattened out on our DE, it's way nicer for mounting downriggers.
Nice fabrication skills!

I hate welding things when you can design it with one part.

I made this plate up. Just two 90 bends for stand off.

It's made of stainless.10 years ago and still doing well.
thats what im talking about there just itll be with a chunk of starboard instead of the bent stainless but I also like that idea may replicate with 3/16 alum..

Back