scotty electric's

scott craven

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the "drop"speed ?
i am using 12 lbs finned weights, and sometimes the
drop speed is very slow.
there must be an adjustment you can make ?

scotty

scotty, don't think there is a clutch adjustment, I find the small gear next to the belt wants to sieze up, seems to be a problem area, easy fix though, take it off it's shaft, clean and oil it, every thing should be a lot smoother.

As the previous poster said and I use LPS 1 spray on the same gear assembly and in the general interior of the top to keep things well lubed.
LPS is a non petroleum based lubricant that won't rot out your belts.

AL

Scotty's (manual and electric) all have a center spindle that the line drum rotates on.The drum is held in place with two nuts which are jammed together (turned in opposite directions to tighten against each other).

If you loosen these two nuts and tighten them back together a half turn or so, it will speed up the rate of descent. You will also notice you need to move your brake lever in some more to stop the ball. The trick is not to loosen the nuts too much, or the ball will plummet down and the brake won't have enough throw to stop it.

Experiment with your deepline mounted on the boat sitting on your trailer. Get just enough play for a decent rate of drop, and make sure you still have enough braking power.

If you cant seem to get it set right, take it to a dealer and have them adjust it. But it is pretty easy to do yourself.

Another thing: It is a good idea to gently take the spool off ( I put a piece of duct tape on the wire drum so it doesnt spring off. lubricate and clean everything up while you are at it.

I just take them in and have a full service done to them for free. Gotta love that life time warranty. However was warned not to use WD40 on them any where again or he'll void my warranty.

Cheers ME

Happy Hookin!!!

great, thanks for the advice guys...
they are a fantastic piece of equipment and want to
keep them running well !

scotty

The second lock nut is on the older version, whereas, the newer electric Scotty Downrigers have a single mylar nut. As mentioned above, if you lossen the nut(s) off a tad you will get more play on the drum and a faster release rate when lowering your cannonball.

Hey salmon ,I pretty sure if you can get an upgrade for the mylar nut, scotty will send it free.They upgraded my brakes and sent a tension spring.

thanks the runt

Back