Scotty DR Brake Adjustment

TenMile

Hey guys,

Seems that the brake will not engage on one of my Scottys. Ball comes up and then starts a high speed descent. The brake handle is not sliding into the locked-on position each time (works about 50% of the time). Does the nylock nut impact the brake moving to the lock position or is there another adjustment?

TenMile
<'((((><

Had the same thing happen a few years ago and as luck would have it there was a Scotty clinic the following week. The rep replaced the brake pads as they were worn down and did an adjustment to the nylock when he put it back together.

Terry,

i was able to fix one of mine that had the same problem
by adjusting the tension on the 3/8 nut's.
you have to make sure the crank handle lines up and fits
snugly onto the nylock nut.

Saw this on "salmon university"
Q: John, I have a pair of scotty downriggers model #1105. One of the downriggers releases the weight after I bring the weight to the surface. I turn the retrieve knob to bring the weight to the boat and when the auto stop gets to the predetermined point, the clutch releases the cable and the weight decends again. This did this 90% of the time today. Is this a common occurance, or am I doing someting wrong? The other downrigger hasn't done this yet. I thought that I was accidentally hitting the clutch lever with my body, but after checking into this I know that it isn't me. My brother was fishing with me today and it was happening to him also. Is there an adjustment to be done here? Thank You Kevin
A: Kevin, There is a recall on the brakes on your 1105 downriggers. Take them to Auburn Sports (253-833-1440) or Narrows Marina Tackle Shop (253-654-4222) and they will install up graded brakes with a spring that will solve the problem. Capt. John

Might want to take the spool off and give it a good cleaning in the spindal hole and the spindal itself. Pay attention to the stainless brake plate (I use a green kitchen scrubbie to clean the stainless) and brake pads. Might want to take a bit of 220 grit to the pads to get rid of the glaze. Also, check and make sure that the brake handle spring (located on the brake handle, which makes the handle spring back) is not bent or broken. I am assuming that you have a upgraded brake system. Most of the time it is just unit being dirty and full of gunk. We have to clean ours about twice a season, as if they free-fall all the time, you start to lose balls and bungies. Not as bad now that we have switched to 150lb Tuffline XP.

Good luck

Fishyboy99

All the DR manuals, with brake adjustment tips, are on Scotty's website: http://www.scotty.com/scotty-support/manuals-documents.htm

Troubleshooting tips here: http://www.scotty.com/scotty-support/troubleshooting.htm

What may be your problem is described on the troubleshooting page as:
"Downrigger weight immediately drops back down after the auto stop trips.
Please contact your nearest repair depot or Scotty at (toll free) 1-800-214-0141 for help."

As suggested by r.s. with the reference to Salmon U., there may be a problem with the part. But it also sounds like Scotty has a fix, so I'd give them a call.

A friend of mine from California had this same problem. Last time he went home, he left the downriggers with me and I dropped them off at Tyee Marine in Campbell River and then picked them up for him before his next trip to Tahsis.

They fixed the problem - end of story.

The wonderful thing about owning Scotty Downriggers :)

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I was having the same problem, saw times post with the toll free number so I called. Well I have to say I was unbelievably impressed with the level of service I got as well as just plain friendliness. My dr's are going to be dropped off and serviced/repaired. Thank god there are still companies that give a **** about their customers.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Back