Scotty downrigger mounting options

CohoOn

Hey there
New boat has just basic gunnel horizontal Scotty base mounting option.
My downriggers have the right angle swivel bases on them that afforded you the option to just remove two thumb bolts to get the downrigger off the boat. Can't see any way with just the horizontal base to have any quick release option...am I missing something? I can remove the right angle bracket off my downriggers to mate up with the gunnel pate but then it's four bolts that go into the plate on the gunnel and as mentioned don't see any way to get my downriggers off easily everyday.
Is the only option to go with the additional right angle plate on the inside of the boat below the gunnel like I had on my old boat?

Attachments

• 20240713_133037.jpg
    20240713_133037.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240713_132917.jpg
    20240713_132917.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 43
Instead of the 4 screws holding the right angle base to the swivel mount, you replace those with 4 thumb bolts that screw into the gunnel scotty base. Basically 4 thumb screws instead of 2 you currently use to remove after each day of fishing.

Thank you for your reply.
The thumb bolts I have have a shank that's one and a half inches long and wouldn't appear to work on two levels.
First you can't even get them in underneath the base of the swivel Mount into the holes as they are too long and as well they will bind up against the tunnel of the boat before they actually tighten down the downrigger.
I looked on Scotty's website and all their bolts are even longer than this do you have some shorties or is this just a problem with the swivel Mount base.
Do you have the swivel Mount just like my setup?

Another option is to get stainless Allen socket head bolts and leave the swivel base on the plate. . Then you just remove the long bolt that holds the downrigger to swivel base for removal. Fill the Allen bolt with caulking and doubtful anybody would take time to remove swivel Mounts. Worked on my last boat………

Thank you for your reply.
The thumb bolts I have have a shank that's one and a half inches long and wouldn't appear to work on two levels.
First you can't even get them in underneath the base of the swivel Mount into the holes as they are too long and as well they will bind up against the tunnel of the boat before they actually tighten down the downrigger.
I looked on Scotty's website and all their bolts are even longer than this do you have some shorties or is this just a problem with the swivel Mount base.
Do you have the swivel Mount just like my setup?
Yes I have the swivel base and the same standard base plates on my boat, I have shorter thumb screws. Really easy to take on and off after fishing, Im pretty sure these are the shorter thumb screws on their website meant for the swivel mounts;

Another option is to get stainless Allen socket head bolts and leave the swivel base on the plate. . Then you just remove the long bolt that holds the downrigger to swivel base for removal. Fill the Allen bolt with caulking and doubtful anybody would take time to remove swivel Mounts. Worked on my last boat………
I did this as well. I also use the single bolt lock for security

Yes I have the swivel base and the same standard base plates on my boat, I have shorter thumb screws. Really easy to take on and off after fishing, Im pretty sure these are the shorter thumb screws on their website meant for the swivel mounts;

Unless you have a large dancefloor and the long gunnel section that goes with it, I’d recommend getting the correct length thumb screws as well. I always remove the swivel base on the port side for boarding and unboarding because smoking your shin or ankle swinging your leg over the gunnel gets old fast. If I end up tied on the starboard side at a different marina I can board via the swim platform and transom half-door so I leave that one on most of the time.

Those one and three corner inch length are too long. I actually went through a bunch of my old stuff today and actually found the much shorter ones that I needed.
Couldn't seem to find these much shorter ones listed on Scotty's website they're nowhere near one and three quarter inch shank on them.
After putting them on the boat have to say the old right angle system I had on my old boat only required two thumb bolts on the inside of the cockpit wall and was way easier to put on. I would not want to be putting or taking off these four thumb bolts up on the gunnel while on the water ...would be recipe for losing them over the side.
The right angle mounts require another plate mounted on the inside of the cockpit wall and not sure if I'm going to keep this boat and didn't want to start modifying it until I make a decision on how I like the boat.
Well I have you I haven't been following the latest on coho regulations is it two hatchery retention anywhere off Vancouver now like Bowen and West Vancouver or off the airport?

Back