Scotty Downrigger Brake Handle

pescador

One of my downriggers brake handles isn’t engaging quick enough when you raise the ball. It falls a couple of feet as you release the power button. Is there a spring that kicks the brake handle to lock?

One of my downriggers brake handles isn’t engaging quick enough when you raise the ball. It falls a couple of feet as you release the power button. Is there a spring that kicks the brake handle to lock?
Have you been adjusting the tension on your brake lately? I had a similar problem until I adjusted the tension with an 18lb ball at home and it was fine after that.
Other option is to call Highwater and see if they can squeeze you in for a quick service.

yes. I self serviced over winter. I’ve been playing with the spool adjustment the last 3 days. I use a 12 lb ball. Maybe I just need to use it a bit more.

yes. I self serviced over winter. I’ve been playing with the spool adjustment the last 3 days. I use a 12 lb ball. Maybe I just need to use it a bit more.
I had lesser brake issues with my 12 lb balls but found them not very useful in heavy currents. Switched to 18 lbs and need to do my service and maintenance more rigorously. Good luck!

When you serviced it, did you put your spring in a different location than it was previously? You obviously get more or less tension, depending which slot you put it in when reassembling.

Those springs need replacing every few years.
I had my previous ones for 5 seasons and managed to bend them out a little every couple years to make them happy.

I carry a few in my repair kit. Have changed them on the fly before. Quick fix
Probably a good idea. I'll have to add them to my Scotty repair tub. It has 142 digital counters in it.

Ya I was thinking that. I’ll pickup a few springs. I had one break a couple of years ago now that I think of it. That might be why the brake handles not springing back. I’ll need a bank loan tho to carry those counters. Used my last spare one Tuesday after a battery contact corroded away.

Carry a spare switch too?
Switch, belt, internal fuse, lid, some kind of relay maybe? There were a few parts that were mentioned as things that might go so I bought them when I went on my first longer trip. Good to know they're there.

I carry a few in my repair kit. Have changed them on the fly before. Quick fix
I’ve done brake pad clean up on the fly after seaweed slime got under the spool and soaked the brake pads. They are simple to work on. Having spare parts is essential though, even as a non guide.

I’ve done brake pad clean up on the fly after seaweed slime got under the spool and soaked the brake pads. They are simple to work on. Having spare parts is essential though, even as a non guide.
Yes agreed. Once we have to deal with this stuff out on the water we get smarter to prevent losing gear soaking time

Back