Scotty downrigger booms rusting?

TelStar26

Just seeing if anyone else is experiencing
surface rust on their Scotty booms on the extended section. I fresh water rinse religiously after every trip, and the riggers are removed and stored in doors each trip.

Any advice on removing the rust?
Any advise on stopping the rust from returning?

Thanks guys…

It's like some Scotty parts come from different sources despite same visual appearance. I've had 2106 riggers for a decade and only changed line counters once - batteries in both units failed within a month of each other. They've never gone cloudy either, they just work.

The rust has no effect except cosmetic. Any stainless cleaner will work very quickly. Regular paste wax helps.

WD soaked rag to wipe them down is very effective at keeping them looking good. Fresh water rinse often, but the WD is so easy and effective.

I wipe the boom down with deep creep after every trip. I don’t use WD40 because of corrosion issues on some metals. No sign of any corrosion after several years.

Weird, mine are like 15+ yrs old, they get blasted with salt all the time, I never rinse them off or clean them, and they show only minimal surface (cosmetic) rust.
fb
I don’t remember my old Scotty’s doing this. These ones are only 3 years old :/

My downriggers are old and all I do is wipe the booms down with WD40 every two or three trips. No rust and they work perfectly . QUICK RINSE WITH FRESH H2O TOO

If everything worked as well as Scotty products, life would be a dream!
They're as reliable and trustworthy as my dog has been.
My vet has never offered to repair my dog for free, though.

No, running braid. I’m hesitant to rub wd40 on them. I often take the riggers off and store them in my cabin. Don’t really want wd-40 getting all over my cushions exc…
wipe off the excess, it is the film that protects, does not need the heavy layer.

I polish mine yearly with Chrome polish then just wipe them periodically with fresh water, no real rust other than the odd bit leaching out the extension that usually wipes off

My old boss at the stainless shop was pretty strict about not using shop tools for mild steel. He said a reaction between stainless and mild steel can cause rust to form. There was a couple times someone tossed a mild steel fastener In the stainless bolt bin and he turfed all those contaminated nuts or bolts. I found the info below on the internet….

“There are several ways that stainless steel can become contaminated during fabrication. The three major causes are contamination with carbon, chloride or mild steel. To have proven results, It is important to eliminate all of them.

Contamination by mild steels occurs just by contact with the stainless steel. This might be caused by contact with tools such as screwdrivers, files, drills and polishing tools that have already been used on mild steel. Or it may be caused by grinding dust produced by using power tools or falling particles of welding and flame cutting on carbon steel in the general proximity.”

Back