Scotty 1021 Clamp Mount for 1050/1060 downriggers - for Aluminum boats?

Scott K

Just curious if any of you who have aluminum boats have the Scotty 1021 clamp mount for your compact manual down riggers? It looks pretty strong in the picture and requires no modification or hole drilling but was wondering if anyone had any real world experience to add on how well it may or may not work? It's designed for simpler aluminum boats with thin gunwales.

If fishing in the chuck I would not use clamp-mount.

maybe ok for fishing trout in a a lake.

In the chuck there is too much blowback and resistance...unless you are fishing really shallow.

Just curious if any of you who have aluminum boats have the Scotty 1021 clamp mount for your compact manual down riggers? It looks pretty strong in the picture and requires no modification or hole drilling but was wondering if anyone had any real world experience to add on how well it may or may not work? It's designed for simpler aluminum boats with thin gunwales.

I had a 12 foot tin Princecraft with thin gunwales, and you can still mount Scotty 1000s or 1102s on them with some reinforcement. The clamp ons are for use in Interior Lakes with 5 pound balls.

I actually started using those exact clamps and downriggers on my 14 foot Lund this past summer. They exceeded my expectation for strength and how stable they are.

I run 10 lb balls but feel they could handle more, maybe 12's. 15 would be pushing it likely.

I've not fished in real stiff tides with them but for use around the Victoria waterfront, they've been real dandy.

I would suggest a small block of hardwood between the clamp and the hull. It adds more stability. Also WD-40 the mechanism as the salt will certainly corrode it.;) eman

Back