Scotch whisky

Fifteen years ago my wife and I did a trip to Scotland. We spent a night in Helmsdale in the Sutherland region of the Highlands. The River Helmsdale is a famed salmon river, though like many Scottish rivers, the stocks are very depressed and face many dire challenges. It’s a beautiful part of the Highlands and I fell in love with it. The local distillery is Clynelish and I’ve only ever come across it in a BC Liquor store once, as a specialty. I think their single malts are mostly sold within the Sutherland region, with the greatest portion of their product going to Johnny Walker blends. If you can get your hands on a bottle of single malt, it’s well worth it.

I like to wander throughout the world of whiskey. Bourbon, rye, blends, Irish, Japanese, Canadian but for Scotch mo cuishle is Aberlour A’bundha cask strength. Definitely a sipper versus swiller unless you’re Don Draper…….a few of these and your English will sound Gaelic.

IMG_1069.png

I like to wander throughout the world of whiskey. Bourbon, rye, blends, Irish, Japanese, Canadian but for Scotch mo cuishle is Aberlour A’bundha cask strength. Definitely a sipper versus swiller unless you’re Don Draper…….a few of these and your English will sound Gaelic.

View attachment 92852
i’ve had this as well. it takes no prisoners nor gives no quarter. it means to harm you and your kin folk

I’m lucky enough to be best buds with an internet whisky celebrity. If you YouTube ‘Trenny and C’, C and I have been tight since we were 1 year old.

He has probably 500 bottles in his “studio”. (Garage) he never buys any of his own anymore. Companies gift him boxes of bottles to review. I get to try some amazing drams. He’s been invited to private tastings and has had some of the oldest scotches ever. Some at well into 5 figures per bottle. $$$$$

I personally prefer sherry cask scotches.
My go to slammer is glenfiddich solara 15. It’s cool because they keep adding to the barrels every year so they’re now some 20+ year old in there but they can only put the age stamens on the youngest in the batch.

I also love Irish whiskey (red breast 12) and kavalan Taiwanese whiskey is insanely good but expensive, at at least a few hundred per bottle.
Two brewers is a great Canadian Whiskey.

Check out Trenny and C. They are a lot of fun

I had to search a bit because it doesn't seem to be available any more but this one I paid about $100 for in 2003 was a gooder.
Label 1 of Bruichladdich 10 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky

I went to glenlivet on our honeymoon and got a half decent bottle that only gets touched on special occasions once a year. It’s gooood. Tried a bunch and this is the one we settled on that even my wife enjoyed.

I always have a few various bottles in the cabinet. And at the cabin, we always have a 60 pounder of buffalo trace haha.

Attachments

• IMG_3926.png
    IMG_3926.png
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 14
Anybody tried the local ones from Caledonia distillery in Victoria? Any good?

The Shelter Point Distillery puts out a good product these days.
I had a few drams of their earliest efforts and decided it would take some time, but they have won a couple of gold medals at the San Francisco Spirits Competition, so I tried them out again and was pleasantly surprised at how good it is.
Shelter Point Award

Back