School me on kickers!

roadking

Hi guys,
We recently purchased a Campion 542, with an Evinrude 150 G2 outboard, sans kicker. Debating a bunch of options for a kicker and wanted to solicit the collective expertise here. Some questions I have:

- tiller throttle or no-tiller models?
- best steering linkage? (Would like steering at the helm)
- suitable hp? Will mostly be used in big lakes in the Okanagan, but will make trips to the salt a couple times a year
- manufacturers?
thanks!

Tohatsu hands down

Woukd need a picture of the stern to further speak on tie bar solutions.

PM me and I will be happy to help

If you’ve got Seastar steering, connect your kicker to your main With this. Works awesome. Steers both motors from helm. Never bend over stern to connect cables.

If you’ve got Seastar steering, connect your kicker to your main With this. Works awesome. Steers both motors from helm. Never bend over stern to connect cables.
I always leave mine connected.. is this a bad idea?

I have a yam T9.9. Tiller controls, steering tie in, power tilt, power start.

very happy with it. On an 18’ alum so figured I did not need forward controls, no regrets on that. I like the tiller as I can steer up front or still use the tiller to steer when needed, although takes a little muscle when hooked up to the tie bar.

if I were to do it again though I would likely consider manual start and manual trim, just to reduce potential problems. Have had zero issues so far, but have to think being all manual might make it a safer bet for use as aux power. (Although I do like it keeping my batteries topped up while trolling)

Convert everything to hydraulic. Best move I ever made.

tohatsu 9.9 EFI, electric tilt

DONE. with this set up you can enjoy the experience instead of working through the experience.

my two cents

The hydraulic trim is necessary, not only for ease of use but.. it provides a stable bracket to that auxiliary engine for when the engine is tilted up. The manual tilt engines get beat up while trailering and or motoring around through a bit of chop.

I had a 7.5 on a 24 SeaRay - more than enough for trolling in fairly calm conditions offshore WCVI. Wouldn't propel the boat at hull speed as a back-up motor - 9.9 may do this on your boat. If not hooked-into your steering, the main motor can be turned to control direction in most trolling situations. You will want a mount with lift assist.

Back