scent delivery - salmon scenter?

The bait in the bag is the same thing as the prawn pellets just smaller. I know when I set the prawn pellets, they break down very slowly. Now that most of our shrimping is certain hours in a day instead of days. We have to break them up or they are still intact at the end of the day.

Another invention out is called "fish tickle." It has a little caged container you can stick on your flasher or the winged spinner that goes in line. You put these little scent capsules in them. They come in all flavors. They gave me some to try. Not sure if they work or not. The capsules are dissolved and gone when I check in 15-20 minutes. They say they have a hard time getting the batches right where they break down in a certain amount of time and don't last to long or not long enough.

I like the winged one as it glows in the dark. I put it in front of my flasher. I almost think you could use it as a lure itself. Here is the link. If nothing else it makes a little vibration in the water.

http://www.aqua-scent.com/

The red stripe can work, I believe. It works on the army truck hootchy and spoons. I just saw on TV where they are advertising red line saying it disappears, Red doesn't disappear it turns black to the human eye. However I am not convinced it does with fish. I bought a book called "What Fish See." Written by an optomitrist. Halibut have a cone in their eye that let them see ultraviolet, so they can see what we cannot. Ultraviolet does go through the water. I think salmon possibly work the same way. My favorte spoon color is Green/glow with a small flame red or orange stripe. Seems to work for me.

Gee, with an E-chip flasher, fish tickle scent system, black box, and a salmon scenter, spray it with fool a fish UV spray, you should be able to get within a half mile of a fish and consider it caught. There is enough weight on, with this you wouldn't even need a downrigger ball.

I'm still trying to figure out what setting to use on my M.X.5000. Since its a/c instead of d/c.

quote:Originally posted by Fishinnut

Gee, with an E-chip flasher, fish tickle scent system, black box, and a salmon scenter, spray it with fool a fish UV spray, you should be able to get within a half mile of a fish and consider it caught. There is enough weight on, with this you wouldn't even need a downrigger ball.

:D :D

Yup..with all this crap about scent etc, voltage, etc..I have a better solution...it's called...GET A GREAT BIG HONKIN NET, and let's just save all the hassle! LOL.

I think this thread is long past WAY out of hand...

However, the red stripe et al was interesting.

hey I didn't start the thread cause I thought the scenter was a great invention or something that would greatly increase hook ups. I just started it for the discussion on scents and because I can't be bothered to go freeze my butt on the water for a couple of 8 pound minnows.

Damn good idea FM. Recreational gillnet opening. Im gonna soak my net in Chovie oil and put red spots on it too.

Pop, I like scent, and red. All my favourite spoons have a little red somewhere, and I usually put a small red hootchie underneath my prawn or green hootchies.

Last year I used power bait on my hootchies to mask the Heinecken and Guinness scent from my hands, and especially to mask the Corona scent. Worked ok. This year I am going to try Anchovie oil because I just feel like buying something new and it will probably be less messy than jamming my hootchies into the power bait jar because the new oil I saw has a nice flip top on the bottle like the old 3-in-1 oil cans did.

Its funny how you guys can do so well with Anchovies up there. We really do not have them here in the Puget Sound. I have talked to the older fishermen in the area that said we used to have them. I have used the stinky Anchovie oil with no luck, but others have. I am sure there are some anchovies here somewhere. On the coast there are lots of them. I usually catch them for fun them in the marina in Neah Bay and Lapush. They work great in the ocean where there are many schools of them.

I have two friends that came up to the Sooke area and fished with a charter. They brought their two huge tackle boxes with everything under the sun.The charter guy pulled out his little clear box of anchovie leaders with the plastic helmets. He proceeded to kick their asses until they switched over. How often do you guys use anchovie scent?

I bought some frozen ones to try here in the Puget Sound this winter, when I can get out. I can't imagine they won't work. Sometimes small bait is better. Also my last set of Tomic UV 530 plugs had red behind the eyes. Sometimes I run a small red UV tube over my leader between the hook and the hoothy or put on a couple of red beads too.

quote:Originally posted by Fishinnut

Its funny how you guys can do so well with Anchovies up there. We really do not have them here in the Puget Sound. I have talked to the older fishermen in the area that said we used to have them. I have used the stinky Anchovie oil with no luck, but others have. I am sure there are some anchovies here somewhere. On the coast there are lots of them. I usually catch them for fun them in the marina in Neah Bay and Lapush. They work great in the ocean where there are many schools of them.

I have two friends that came up to the Sooke area and fished with a charter. They brought their two huge tackle boxes with everything under the sun.The charter guy pulled out his little clear box of anchovie leaders with the plastic helmets. He proceeded to kick their asses until they switched over. How often do you guys use anchovie scent?

I bought some frozen ones to try here in the Puget Sound this winter, when I can get out. I can't imagine they won't work. Sometimes small bait is better. Also my last set of Tomic UV 530 plugs had red behind the eyes. Sometimes I run a small red UV tube over my leader between the hook and the hoothy or put on a couple of red beads too.

Hey! Yeah..the UV red tubing is being capitalized by Radiant Lures big time...and the UV coatings seem to be one of the hottest things going. flashers, teaser heads, hootchies, tomic UV plugs..etc. They appear to work well too.

As for the anchovies, it's a bait found in the water naturally, but I think if anything, as a natural part of the ecosystem in BC waters it's relatively rare. I know from my conversations with commercial trollers that offshore on strong El Nino Years there have been sightings of large schools of Anchovy.

If anything, I don't think it's anchovies in particular that are setting the fish off to bite, I think it's the action combined with the scent. The action I believe is first and formost.

I never used to bother with anchovies until a few years ago, and I did just fine with herring from 5 to 7 inches in a Super Minnow Teaser or the Tiny Strip Teaser.

Herring strip used to be deadly, and it's generally fallen out of favour with preference for anchovies. The roll of a herring strip is absolutely deadly for large springs!!!!! A lot of us have forgotten about that. The other thing that's great about the herring strip (Super or Large) is that you use one large hook and it's rare that you have one spit the hooks. Basically a fish a piece. If you get a bite, and it's definitely not "there" or "on" you can wait a few seconds too and wait the fish usually comes back as the action is there, and there's a massive scent factor, whereas with the 'Chovy it's all over and done, pop it off and check your pretzelled/missing bait.

No brining too!

Now some lodges on the West Coast are predominantly fishing anchovies, with herring tacking a backseat...

I even know of a couple of larger lodges in the Charlottes that have anchovies available for their guides.

I think if anything, the anchovies allow you to move around at 2.5 to 3.0 MPH and cover more area and seek out the fish as opposed to the slower rolling herring.

I believe my biggest weakness is getting the proper roll on my anchovie.I've never been out with a guide or someone who has that knowledge.One guy told me it should be a slow roll and another told me it should spin like a drill bit.Has anyone seen a video out there that shows how to rig an anchovie properly?

the reason I don't like whole herring is the scales fall off way too easy and the bait doesn't seem to stay together as well as a nicely brined anchovy.

The roll should be 1 rotation every 1-2 seconds but some guys like a tight fast spin also, I've seen both work well. Wolf keeps talking about having a special roll on his anchovy maybe he'll chime in ;)

My grandfather (and yes it was way back) always said that when you are in the salt, salmon use scent more as a turn off than a turn on. In otherwords, it is the flash and action that attracts them and the scent is the "final check" that clinches them (if it smells like jellyfish, then the salmon turns away... looks like bait, moves like bait, and smells like bait, then salmon take a bite). When salmon hit freshwater, then scent makes a substantially bigger difference.

Back