Salmon Report on CBC National News

CBC - that IS government controlled media? I wonder why no mention of fish farms?

Or no mention of destruction of habitat due to urban development (esp. the small creeks and streams that coho spawn in).

or no mention of the over abundance of seals e.g. Puntledge river

or no mention of the over fishing herring in the straits which reduces a huge amount of the biomass when the herring spawn and loss of overall amounts of feed for salmon.

It is all too convenient for DFO to blame a big uncontrolable problem like climate changes for the problem and not re-think some of their boneheaded (mis)management decisions over the years. This gets them off the hook (pardon the pun) all too easy. Thats my 2 bits!

What a surprise...something else blamed on "Global Warming." If it was government controlled...there is no way the Conservatives would allow it to be blamed on global warming, as their platform on this "problem" is one of the weakest of all the parties.

Did I hear that right. The same morons that allow a krill and herring fishery, now have deduced there is a shortage of food for salmon.Beam me up Scotty........

Follow-up:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/05/27/bc-salmon-study-climate-change.html

Federal scientists probe decline of B.C. salmon runs
Last Updated: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 | 9:44 PM ET Comments23Recommend16CBC News
Federal scientists are working to solve the mystery of why Canada’s Pacific salmon is disappearing while other species, such as hake, are thriving.

In a five-year study in the Strait of Georgia, off the east coast of Vancouver Island, a team from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans is trying to determine why it has become so difficult to predict salmon runs.

According to the scientists, it used to be fairly clear how many salmon would survive and return to rivers a few years later: The prediction was based on the number of salmon that left the river. Now, scientists say the process has become far more complicated, with ocean conditions, temperature and food supply playing a much greater role in the number of salmon that return.

Scientist Brian Riddle says his team hopes to figure out why salmon stocks in the Georgia Strait have declined. (CBC)
“We want to understand what's driving the Strait of Georgia — we're not seeing the millions of coho and chinook that drove very important recreational fisheries,” said Brian Riddle, a DFO research scientist.

Salmon ecology is a complex puzzle: On the U.S. West Coast many salmon runs have completely collapsed, and in B.C. the situation is only slightly better. But in the North Pacific, including Alaska, Russia and Japan, many salmon runs are at or near all-time highs.

According to Richard Beamish, a senior scientist at DFO, the explanation for the changing stock may lie in the coastal waters where salmon spend their first few months of life.

“What we think we're seeing is food production a little earlier in the ocean, and it’s benefitting the salmon that enter the ocean first,” Beamish said.

Federal scientists are trying to solve the mystery of Canada's disappearing Pacific salmon. (CBC)
On B.C.’s southwest coast, for example, there are five main species of Pacific salmon: pink, chum, sockeye, chinook and coho. All of them eat plankton and all spend some of their first year at sea in the Georgia Strait.

The scientists are testing the theory that a one-degree increase in water temperature has effectively reduced the food supply for the salmon that arrive later in the season, such as chinook and coho.

Scientists worry the decreased food supply makes it harder for those species to fatten up and survive the first winter.

“In a very extreme way of saying it, climate change — global warming — is, in a way, starving coho,” Beamish said.

The scientists are hoping their five-year study will help them understand the patterns, but they say if it is climate change that is killing Canada’s prized salmon, the question remains whether anything can be done about it.

There is a comment section at the bottom of the link (at the top of this post). Why not put some comments out that the public can read?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/05/27/bc-salmon-study-climate-change.html

They didn't need a five year study. A read through the Campbell River Mirror headlines starting about 1985 and focusing on Spring papers would tell the story - and it's all management. Herring stocks, shrimp blooms, cod stocks, everything that swims or crawls has been stripped and along with them the entire biomass that they once created.

Does anyone remember when the masses of fish farms started showing up North of Campbell River? Perhaps about early to mid 80's? Absolute collapse ever since..., just a coincidence I suppose.

Think it's too late? It will be if we accept that it's climate change and out of our control. I say if it's admittedley in that bad of shape, and it is, DFO is obligated to impose an outright moritorium on the entire area, close all resident fisheries and aquaculture, until they figure it out - BTW, Johnstone Straits is in the same condition.

I was in attendance to a talk by Richard J. Beamish a Senior Research Scientist at DFO. Part of his slide show he presented is here.
http://www.npafc.org/new/publications/Technical Report/TR7/Beamish.pdf
It was an eye opener as to some of the possible reasons why we have a decline of Chinook and Coho in the Strait of Georgia while there seems to be increase in the Chum and Pinks. Could it be that some of the blame on the decline is our hatcheries? Are the hatcheries not keeping up with the changes in the Straight? The small local volunteer hatcheries were encouraged to change (experiment) with the way they do things. It seems clear to me that we need to release our fish earlier than we would normally do. I’m not sure that this would work but we need to do something. In a perfect world we would not have a need for hatcheries. If we could restore the rivers and creeks to a level that the fish would be self-sustaining that would be great. There are many groups that are doing just that but it will take time, as money and manpower are in short supply. It’s easy to sit here in front of the computer and speculate as to what is needed to fix the problems. I encourage all of you to do something to be part of the solution. If you have time, volunteer with an organization in your community. If you have money, donate some of it to a local group. If you don’t have either maybe change some part of your lifestyle to be more Salmon friendly. As an example I heard of a group that has started a campaign to have Salmon friendly lawns. Link below.
http://www.mvihes.bc.ca/MVIHES/water_aware.htm#Salmon Friendly Lawns
My point is this. Do not expect the government to fix our problems. Each one of us needs to take ownership in the problems and become part of the solution. Ask questions, get involved, talk to you neighbors do something don’t just carry on with business as usual.
GLG

Back