Salmon fishing with plugs

Fishdreamer

Crew Member
My neighbor gave me several boxes of plugs of all sizes. I haven't fished with them before but know guys who use them in the ocean and I will do that, but I'm wondering if anyone has used them on inside waters?

My neighbor gave me several boxes of plugs of all sizes. I haven't fished with them before but know guys who use them in the ocean and I will do that, but I'm wondering if anyone has used them on inside waters?
Lots of good discussions have been had on here about plugs.
Do a search on it you’ll have lots of reading.

I'd be happy to but haven't learned to to do that. I was told they belonged to a commercial fisherman no longer in the business.

Have a close look at you plugs, you are looking for bite marks at or near the head, If the commercial fisherman used the plugs a lot, there will be quite a bit of hook wear on the underneath of the body. See if you can find out where he fished, inside or on the west coast.

Lots of guys use plugs fishing the hump off the south end of Quadra Island in Campbell River. I love fishing with plugs as there is no flasher. Just need to troll a bit faster to get good action. A proven lure that works almost anywhere. Just need to find out what colors are working where and when to match the hatch/feed. Talk to the best tackle shop in the area you want to fish and they can tell you what colors work, where and when.

You actually don't have to fish that much faster if you're using the Tubby's. I often stack one with flasher gear to see if they want plugs on that day
Agreed. For sure I’ve had fish bite plugs when going “way too fast” to dodge kelp or something, but also had good luck with them at a near stand still hoping to get a double while there’s already a fish on the other side. Lots of options speed wise with the tubbys. As well I have a great 7” that did well when I fished at whole herring speed on the other side.

oh, and yes they work on inside waters for sure.

What are the numbers? If they're from an old troller, they're likely west coast ones, as there wasn't much of a Gulf fleet left after the mid 70's. But they'll work inside, for sure.

Easy to release fish most of the time too...as they seldom get hooked deep. I find with the plug hanging on the outside of the mouth probably slapping them as they fight you...spring jump quite often when hooked on plugs.

Easy to release fish most of the time too...as they seldom get hooked deep. I find with the plug hanging on the outside of the mouth probably slapping them as they fight you...spring jump quite often when hooked on plugs.
Hmm, easier to unhook, but plugs draw a LOT of blood. I downsized most of my hooks to reduce injury to fish I wasn't going to keep, still lots of blood, just less.

Back