Sablefish

adanac

One thing I have not been able to dial in . we tried for a few hours on different occasions out of winter harbour this weekend . Dropper loops tipped with herring and chunked pink , we tried in around 1000 all the way down to 550 . We hooked some really nice red banded rockfish ( 6 - 8 lbs ) and a few arrowtooth flounder but no sablefish . Just wanted to start a thread on what bottom , depth , bait ect people have been successful with .

I had decent success here around 1600'. I used pieces of tuna belly. Bait checks take a long time, so I wanted to use something that wouldn't come off. A commercial black cod long liner was set in the same place. I've heard salmon belly works, but not ling cod scraps.

1726180721871.png

Also for reference:

1726181003443.png

Find the krill offshore and there should be Sables in the hood. Don't necessarily need to be in deep water. There were a lot on Big Bank, especially in 300' of water along the drop off edges. They will chow down on just about anything, although small bits of salmon bellies seem to be pretty effective on a single hook with a really short leader to avoid them twisting up the leader into a messy ball of wool.

Back