Saanich Inlet

Yote

So...I remember way back in the eighties one could go out to the Inlet and actually expect to catch some nice salmon I.e. by the Cement Factory etc.
I used to go ut with a buddy and catch all kinds of fish, now you never hear of people fishing there. I know it died off for a while but is it coming back? Is it a kept secret or does it just suck there? When prawning, I see lots of bait all the time and the trusty seals are out there and they must be eatig something. I am going to try for myself this summer but was wondering what I might expect there, that's if anyone even goes there anymore.

i have fished there, (although not recently) and caught springs.
i think it's worth a try while prawn traps are soaking.
the locals don't talk much, at least that i've heard
but i have seen boats there with trolling gear out.

scotty

I also fished there.... but back in the 50's and 60's when there was a good run of salmon, up to 3 years ago there was very little action in that general area, I know several of the locals who fish there(I grew up in Shawnigan Lake) and there is the occasional fish taken but the majority of the time they go for a nice boat ride, late summer and early fall will give you some springs and even the odd coho around the bay area and off of Boatswains Bank by Cherry Point.

AL

I haven't fished there since the last Mill Bay derby (96-97?)
used to get the odd one off bamberton.Whiskey Point has produced the odd stray.I believe prawning is closed in the inlet for now.Watch for RCAs (patey rock being one).In more recent time I have fished Deep Cove area(wain rk).Late march and April is worth a shot there.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

Thanks for the posts. I have also heard that the feeder spring fishing can yeild some nice ones around the Deep Cove area for March and April. I'll have to give it a go when the prawning season re opens in April.

Area 18 is open for prawns- eg. satelite channel, boundry is just out from wain rock.I dropped them on the wain side of satelite snd did well. Just use a bigger float as the currents move through there pretty good and suck the smaller ones down. As i found out in late January, had to hunt them down at slack. There is definitly the odd decent spring kicking around. Dave brought a 20# in last year. but March is typicaly supposed to be best.

Back