running Anchovy with single barbless

Rum Buddies

I've never ran a rhys or JDF head with a single barbless but fishing alberni it looks like I'll have to. Whats the best way to make this work, stick a toothpick in the bait to give the bait its curve or bury the shank of the single in the bait, leaving the curve and point exposed?

Any tips?

I for one don't like the hooks pre tied lures come with especialy ryes davies way to big tie youre own with smaller hook and yes I hook 1 prong in bait and give bait a slight bend leave other 2 exposed. you also can try a darker colored hook to be more descreat.

Run a tandem hook setup. 2 single hooks, one behind the other, hook
the front one thru the anchovie and let the rear one dangle free. Works well. You will have to get someone to show you how to tie this set up if you don't already know. For me it's too complicated to explain.

no I tie my own teaser setups too, I don't use anything but Gami's and I usually use a treble on the front with a trailing single hook.

BUT, I'm fishing alberni which is a single barbless fishery, so I'm looking for tips on the best way to rig a chovy with just one single hook to work with.

With tandem singles (#4 Gammies) and a teaser head this rig worked well in Bamfield. Fasten chovy in your teaser, slide the front hook up till the eye touches the hole that the line goes through, with point of hook down (belly side of bait). Your trailer hook should be just shy of the tail. Leave both hooks out. This produces a consistently tight roll which is low maintenance and only works well with 2 singles, a treble trailer will slow down the roll. Try purple haze and or green and yellow chrome teasers, and don't go too slow.

I'll try running that double single hook setup sometime as i hate how the treble hook chews up the bait, but the question was on a single hook setup. A 2 single hook setup does not qualify. Anyways I'm off to port, I'll let ya know how the weekend goes.

Why do you want to run a single Single anyways?Is it the rule in the Alberni Inlet now?

I also am not sure why you would only run 1 hook is it the law ?? we usualy run a # 0 in front and a # 00 trailer, the trick is to tie the trailer so it sits just above the tail of chovy. It seems to disrupt roll if it sits to far back, boys I pulled in at least 1/2 of fish last week hanging on trailer !!!! cannot fish with out one (if law aloud).
And once again color of hook matters, descreat is the ticket, if they can see bait from who knows how far away they darn well can see that big shinny hook. Go black... they may rust in time but you should be re-tieing every 3-4 fish anyways.
Pay atention to details!!! and the fish will come....

well I was told the inlet was only single barbless but I actually looked into it and it appears its only single barbless right in the harbour/river mouth area and I doubt we'll be fishing that close in anyways.

The rest of the inlet is just barbless, so I'll be running a gami' treble with a single trailer hook and of course some squirts and plugs.

That sounds more like it.We have always fished treble and trailer.I now just fish a single treble.I find it is easier on the fish.Not to brag but I throw back a fair amount of fish and just keep the bleeders.

The waters of Port Alberni Harbour northerly of a line from Harbour Quay to a boundary marker on the opposite shore, only one single-pointed hook may be used when fishing for salmon all year.

Looks like in the other parts of area 23, multiple single barbless are ok. Single barbless as opposed to one single barbless.

read it here
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/area23_e.htm

I tried the single barbless up @ Cheney Point last week.

Because the Coho were so scarce I was rather bothered that a few that I caught with tandem singles had their mouth 'nailed shut' by the hooks when they rolled in the line, a total PITA to release.

So instead of trying to figure out how to rig a single barbless with a teaser head I used an old trick rigging the Herring with a single barbless in the tail, it's quite simple once you see it done.

Just slip the hook up through the chin out the top of the head and then use two wraps (or 3 if that suits) around the body of the Herring and insert the hook in the back of the Herring much like you would with the back hook of a cut plug rig.Adjust the bend of the Herring by tightening the wraps around it's body and that's it!

It worked just as well as any fancy coloured Teaser Head and is actually less trouble to rig as there are no stupid wet broken toothpicks to monkey with.

It' something to experiment with, you can't deny that the day will come when it'll all be single barbless.

EDIT-Oops!
I see that the original question was about Anchovy not Herring.
The same technique will work for Anchovy if you use lighter line, thinner hooks and don't have fat clumsy fingers like some posters here(!)

Back