Rope type for anchoring

Fishdreamer

Crew Member
Hi, newbie here now but hope to be regular user. I'm curious as to what type of rope people prefer when anchoring for bottom fish, or at least what type to avoid.

NOT poly for sure. Nylon - double braided or 3-strand is the most common anchor rope.

Poly has little to no stretch, that's why it is not good for towing or anchoring.
Nylon is your best bet there, lots of stretch before the parting of the line.

I use Samson double braid, 600ft length. Awesome rope but VERY expensive. No stretch, holds knots well, need the correct size "fid" to make proper eye splice. Most use what Trotac or others provide. Don't use stretchy poly.

HM

poly also kinks as well as floats as well as the stretch/break issue mentioned already by GS. Outside of Jeffrey Epstein’s pool - floating & being kinky makes it difficult to handle. Easier to catch a floating line in the props, too. Nylon handles well as already described by GS & HM. When you are tired and/or at nite and/or in inclement weather - you'll appreciate the ease of handling and less hang-ups and f-ups when deploying/retrieving the anchor.

Last edited:
To be clear we’re talking about anchoring for Hali or bottom fish....

For this purpose I prefer a floating line. I use 1/2” poly steel. But wish it was 3/8” to pack up smaller. When I retrieve the tackle with a ring/scotch man I double back and use the prawn puller to coil the loose rope into a bucket
It’s harder to foul a prop with line above the prop vs line that sinks past it

If we were talking about anchoring for the night then yes 3 strand nylon is preferred

Use braided. It costs more than the twisted three strand, but it will be worth it. Less tangles, knots, etc.

I bought 600' of braided 3/8" from Donaldson Ropes in North Van for $320. Check them out.

Use braided. It costs more than the twisted three strand, but it will be worth it. Less tangles, knots, etc.

I bought 600' of braided 3/8" from Donaldson Ropes in North Van for $320. Check them out.
Me too but I bought 1/2", way too heavy. should of went with 3/8".

3/8 Samson.
Where are you located Fishdreamer? I have a bunch of new 3/8 samson and might be able to help you out.

Thanks for the info, it'll give me a start on research. I have a 21 foot Duckworth and only plan on anchoring for Halibut. I'm in the Seattle area. I'll be at Critter Cove in August and will post results after I get back.

Get a proper halibut set-up then. Just making a suggestion. Why not buy a proper anchoring system for your boat when you get here on island. If you are coming over Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo or Trotac in Victoria can make them, and it sized for boat. You should could call in advance order it, and then speak for advice etc.when picking it up. This is not something you want to cheap out on. Just pick it up here, and bring it back with you after your trip.

Personally I see lots of guys trying to argue and use the wrong lines etc, and trying to put it together. By the time your done you could have just bought right one for the boat, and that is safe.

With your US exchange rate your anchor sytem is totally worth getting here.

Back