Rhinoceros Auklet die off , Juan de Fuca Strait

IMG_4025.jpg

I have sent a email to the people doing the necropsy and toxicology report and asked them to let me know what the results are as soon as they get them I will pass them on.
I know some of you guys are wondering what the big deal is about a bunch of dead birds is but put it this way , if your dog died from eating his dog food , don't you think you should check into it?
These birds eat exactly what our local salmon eat as well , obviously the scale of size , amount ingested etc will affect the result , but I eat a lot of local salmon!
There certainly could be other causes , starvation (don't think so , masses of bait right now).
Illness
parasites
trauma ( lots of humpback feeding right now , a unexpected breach on top of a flock would be a killer.)

beemer

Last edited:
We saw a dead water bird off Muir a few days ago and at the time thought it was a Common Murre that had drowned when it hit someone's bait. But I didn't make any effort to identify it as I hadn't heard about this at the time. Its head was down in the water so still not sure what it was.

We saw a dead water bird off Muir a few days ago and at the time thought it was a Common Murre that had drowned when it hit someone's bait. But I didn't make any effort to identify it as I hadn't heard about this at the time. Its head was down in the water so still not sure what it was.

Thanks Profisher , I got a email back from Birds Canada today , I offered to collect any of the carcasses in the Victoria area. I will post her collection instructions here. beemer

Hi Brian,
Thank you so much for your note. Do you think anyone in the Angler community might be willing to collect fresh carcasses for us that they find on the water? Fresh carcasses will be sent for post-mortem exams and will help us get a better idea of what is going on. We can arrange and pay for shipping. If so, I can send further instructions on how to collect the carcasses.

A few post-mortem exams have been conducted on some of the birds that are washing up around Washington and the cause of death for these birds was starvation. It’s still too early to tell if this is what is happening here, but I will definitely keep you posted as we learn more.

Thanks
Karen Devitt

BC Program Coordinator

Last edited:
I have seen so much bait in Oak Bay and towards Sidney that I would find starvation hard to believe as the main cause. I hope this is not a sign of the health of Juan de Fuca strait.

I have seen so much bait in Oak Bay and towards Sidney that I would find starvation hard to believe as the main cause. I hope this is not a sign of the health of Juan de Fuca strait.

I agree 100% . that's why I think that this is pretty concerning. The difference is the type of Auklet that is dying right now in the Juan de Fuca. The Washington State die off was mainly Cassins Auklets , which feed on plankton. Our birds that are dying are Rhinoceros Auklets which eat much higher on the food chain , sandlance mainly.

beemer

Last edited:
Really weird.I know all fish I have been getting this month and late June have been stuffed with sand lance. So it wouldn't be lack of feed.

Awaiting necropsies and specimens at work(museum)..might only get skeletons back, but they will be preserved to document the mortality.
They are looking for plastics, and will look at genetics and chemistry..will pass on findings as well.

I haven't seen as many pudgy ones around as I usually do...

Rhinoceros Auklet Collection Procedure. if you are in the Victoria area , you can also call me at 250-896-3783 Brian , and I can swing around to pick up the bird. Please pass this post around , the more birds we get , the sooner we will have a definitive answer as the what is causing this.
thanks!

Thanks so much for agreeing to help! If you could post the following instructions on the BC Sport Fishing Website, we would really appreciate it!

Bird Studies Canada is seeking assistance in collecting fresh Rhinoceros Auklet or any other seabird carcasses encountered on the water. Carcasses that are suitable for collection should be intact and fresh (not scavenged or decomposed and no rotten smell). Please avoid direct contact with the carcass by using gloves or a net. Following collection, wash your hands with soapy water or hand sanitizer as soon as possible. Carcasses should be stored in double plastic bags that are clearly labelled with the date and location found and the species (if known). Place the carcass in a freezer as soon as possible and then contact
BCvolunteer@birdscanada.org or laurie.wilson@canada.ca (604 862-8817). We will arrange and pay for shipping. If you find any carcasses that are not suitable for collection, please report them to BCvolunteer@birdscanada.org. Thanks in advance for the help!

Thanks again and please let me know if you have any questions!

Karen Devitt

BC Program Coordinator

Phone: 1-604-350-1988

Email:BCvolunteer@birdscanada.org

www.birdscanada.org

In this article here is a plausible theory about why starvation can be a legitimate cause:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2015/01/15/climate-change-blamed-for-bird-deaths-in-mexico/

Based on similar events with sea birds in other countries under similar circumstances, Profepa concluded that the probable cause is linked to climate change.

"Changes in the ocean water temperature are forcing schools of fish to swim deeper and because of that, birds cannot get to their main source of food," the agency said.

I believe that the warmer water is driving the food source for this species of birds deeper and beyond their reach. Fish can get at the sand lance if they travel deeper, but not the birds. Look back at the posts about the disappearing Chinook in the other threads on that subject. One theory is that the warmer waters are driving the chinook further offshore and deeper. Hence the healthy numbers being recorded at the river, but slow fishing in the open ocean.

In this article here is a plausible theory about why starvation can be a legitimate cause:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2015/01/15/climate-change-blamed-for-bird-deaths-in-mexico/

Based on similar events with sea birds in other countries under similar circumstances, Profepa concluded that the probable cause is linked to climate change.

"Changes in the ocean water temperature are forcing schools of fish to swim deeper and because of that, birds cannot get to their main source of food," the agency said.

I believe that the warmer water is driving the food source for this species of birds deeper and beyond their reach. Fish can get at the sand lance if they travel deeper, but not the birds. Look back at the posts about the disappearing Chinook in the other threads on that subject. One theory is that the warmer waters are driving the chinook further offshore and deeper. Hence the healthy numbers being recorded at the river, but slow fishing in the open ocean.

definitely a possibility , but I have a serious problem with any agency that puts out a theory BEFORE any testing is done. Thanks for digging this up , its important to look at everything to solve this puzzle , but to just blinding say that "climate change" is the problem without any real testing is problematic .

beemer

B.C. Beached Bird Survey Detects Die-off

BCBBS%20RHAU.jpg

Photo: Penny Lancaster

20 July 2016 – Over the space of a few days in mid-July, volunteers for Bird Studies Canada’s British Columbia Beached Bird Survey detected an unusually high number of Rhinoceros Auklets washing up on beaches around Victoria, B.C. At least 72 auklet carcasses have been found in the area over the last week. Our beached bird survey would normally receive reports of only a couple of these birds each year over the entire B.C. coast.
The largest nearby breeding colony is at Protection Island in Washington, with around 72,000 birds. The birds washing ashore in Victoria are thought to be breeders from that site. The Canadian Wildlife Service is conducting post-mortem examinations of 21 birds to determine the cause of death.
The B.C. Beached Bird Survey was undertaken with the financial support of the Government of Canada and TD Friends of the Environment Foundation.

collected a few birds over the weekend mid juan de fuca off Renfrew. Still lots of dying out here.

If you come across one , and they are fresh , it would appreciated if you could collect using the instructions above.

beemer

There were a couple on the Esquimalt Lagoon beach this past weekend. I reported them but didn't have any sanitary means of collecting them.

Back