Return to Calling

Dennis.t

Thought i would throw up a report...After a long 15 hr drive up to Northern Alberta from the Wack,we set up camp on a wicked beach on the shores of Calling lake.We looked forward to 4 days of fishing and camping bliss! Day one,the weather sucked and the fishing was tough,thinking last yr was too good to be true,Day two dawned clear skys and calm seas.The fishing was once again stellar! Numerous Walleye hit our minnow tipped jigs with reckless abandon,with the odd pike thrown in for good measure. We took a limit and cooked up a massive shore lunch to go with our ice cold wobbly pops. It was entertaining to watch a pair of huge White American Pelicans gulp down the entrails we left on the beach for them.Our last night a huge prairie storm rolled through soaking us to the the bone as we packed up camp the next morning. We returned home with tired arms and huge smiles!

Attachments

• Alberta Gold 008.jpg
    Alberta Gold 008.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Alberta Gold 024.jpg
    Alberta Gold 024.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Alberta Gold 030.jpg
    Alberta Gold 030.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Alberta Gold 038.jpg
    Alberta Gold 038.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like fun.

I went Walleye fishing once in Northern Ont. They're tasty buggars aren't they? Especially the way you cooked them up there.

Sounds like fun.

I went Walleye fishing once in Northern Ont. They're tasty buggars aren't they? Especially the way you cooked them up there.
Yah for sure! From the lake straight into the frying pan! Very delicious! Its a white meat with nice texture,tastes similiar to red snapper. Goes great with a few cold ones! Cheers.

Great read and report. Sounds like a hoot.

Thanks man. Some great fishing to be had in Northern Alberta. Its a beautiful lake with crystal clear water and white sandy beaches surrounded by boreal forest. Lots of wildlife to see.Deer,beaver,otters.pelicans,golden eagles,ospreys etc,thought the bugs would be bad,but they werent,lots of butterflies,skittering around.This time of yr it doesnt get dark till 1:00 am and only for a few hrs until around 4:00 am its light again. lol. Your allowed 2 walleye between 45 and 55 cms.Many of our fish caught went over the slot size limit into the 5 and 6 pd range. The bite is hard and aggresive,had about a 10 pd Pike come up and clamp onto a walleye that my bro was playing.He tryed netting both fish,but the pike let go at the last second and avoided the net! Lucky pike for he would have ended up in the frying pan as well.lol

Very Cool-Thanks for posting!

Walleye is the Best freshwater fish I've ever eaten people who haven't tried it don't know what they're missing-it's absolutely fabulous in a Tempura batter.

Welcome to my paradise. I have a cabin in the townsite on the water, and have spent many days out there. All the same, I do love doing my annual salmon trip to Nootka.

Next year, if you are inclined to make the trip, PM me and I can get you camped on my beach with power, fire pit, picnic tables, wood, launch, etc.

My best to date was 10 pd 4 ounces, with 3 9.5 # in one year. Some huge pike in there as well.

Drewski

Welcome to my paradise. I have a cabin in the townsite on the water, and have spent many days out there. All the same, I do love doing my annual salmon trip to Nootka.

Next year, if you are inclined to make the trip, PM me and I can get you camped on my beach with power, fire pit, picnic tables, wood, launch, etc.

My best to date was 10 pd 4 ounces, with 3 9.5 # in one year. Some huge pike in there as well.

Drewski
Paradise it is my friend, cant wait to go back.:D

I agree. Lived in Caselgar for 2 years when I was a young buck,and fished for walleye in the mighty Columbia. The first
time I tried it I couldn't believe how good it tasted. The only fish I like better is a tail section fillet off a small halibut.

Back