Repower this boat ?

I just re-powered with two Honda 225 4-strokes and the total bill out the door was $30K US. That was with me removing the old stoves, wiring, controls and gauges so they had a clean plate to start from. I had to take it to Oregon to do it (hooked up with the deal at the Portland sportsmans show).

I agree with C.S.. But would put it a bit highter.
If the hull was in perfect shape with a good trailer (the motor is really worth very little) then maybe 14 ish.
Keep in mind that the boats C.S. is refering to, don't have new motors with warranties either.

quote:Originally posted by C.S.

Thats WAY to much money for that old boat...maybe 10,000 TOPS!That Force is worth nothing so all your getting is a 15 year old west coast hull.
A new 150 with prop,controls,taxes will run up 16 to17 Grand.....Imagine the rig you could get state side for that 30 grand!
LOts of Grady,s,Prolines ect on the east coast for 20 to 25 gee's USD.

I agree. That is WAY too much $$$ for that boat. Even if the motor runs 100% and has low hours, GOOD LUCK trying to get any self respecting buyer to give any $$$ for it.

IF, and only IF the hull and boat are MINT MINT MINT and proof of how it was used is available 9-10K with the trailer is about tops.

Imagine this...you repower with a new 150 or 200 2 stroke---you're going to be asking and asking a LONG time for someone to give you $20K ++ for that rig. Make it a 4 stroke, and it's the same issue.

The biggest liability is the hull.

If the seller is a forum member, my apologies, however, that's what's running through a lot of buyers minds...and if you disagree with what I have to say, then you take the old Force off, sell it, and then repower with a 150 4 stroke or a 200 2 stroke, then try to get what you are asking for it--and you'll still be waiting.

depending on condition and it looks good this boat is worth 11-13 grand trailer brakes should be checked. I owned one for 8 years great hull design handels the rough great. dont power with a four stroke too heavy a 150 will push you as fast as you need to go, mine went 41 mph on a 150 yamy. You will like the boat, but yes you need to repower. having a old force on it it is a good indication that the transum and hull are probably in good shape. the trailer looks a bit small for that boat I would check it out.

If it's weight to power ratio you want go with an E-TEC. No better on the market when it comes to power to weight ratio...

i run an e-tec . man it`s a nice motor great on fuel and fast . scottyboy

I run a 175 E-TEC salwater, pushes my 20' Lund with all the gear in er full fuel and all 4 of us in er along @ 52 mph GPSst. Damn fine engines..

I'd have to agree with the over priced sentiments. Even with brand new power, that boat isn't going to fetch the asking price. Good boat or not....it's a 15 year Bayliner. Just as a Hyundai will always be a Hyundai, no matter how many awards they win.
(Sorry if the owner reads this, it may be a great boat, but it carries the Bayliner name)

The optimax may produce the same power weight ratios but how bout emissions, the E-TEC meats and or beats all requirements it has better emission than some of the 4 strokers on the market...

quote:Originally posted by C.S.

Thats WAY to much money for that old boat...maybe 10,000 TOPS!That Force is worth nothing so all your getting is a 15 year old west coast hull.
A new 150 with prop,controls,taxes will run up 16 to17 Grand.....Imagine the rig you could get state side for that 30 grand!
LOts of Grady,s,Prolines ect on the east coast for 20 to 25 gee's USD.

There is some wisdom in these words.

200hp yami 4-stroke with factory stainless prop. She will run quite, get great fuel econ and the stainless prop will give much better hole-shot than stock alum model.

just out of curiousity, I checked what a 2007 20' would run. The 2007 Trophy (no longer under the Bayliner name) with a 175 hp optimax is $37,000 USD. Now, on top of this you would obviously need to outfit it with gear...but to compare the $19,000 asking + ~$17,000 for new power (ignore what the Force would fetch) = $36,000 CAN for a 15 yr old boat...hardly seems like a good deal.
IMHO
Better of doing what Wolf did...get a solid older boat, repower, and for <$20,000 have a great fishing boat...

Trouble with the old boat is the dry rott is very common. Most of the late 70s and 80s boats did not glass in the stringers much,usually only enough to hold them in place. As for the transoms well most are rotted out and require a redo. Thats not cheap either. Jenkins marine metioned that 8 out of ten older boats are running with major rott in the transoms. Age,humidity and a confined space = dryrott.A few oldtime guides may remember WG charters, he split a 21 glassply in half almost coming out of pedder bay, center stringer caved right in through the floor. Limped her back with pump on. Now boats are running composite stringer systems, no rot and some flexabillity. Trophy had some bumps in the late 80s with there early models but have developed a hell of a good boat and even better with there 98 and up new ownership and hull design. Guides in Prince Rupert use the hard and get many years of reliability and good resale to boot. That force/chrysler is not fit for saltwater use though, bad marketing package by Trophy when bayliner still owned them.
With a older 150 yamaha that would be a great west coast boat and a fair price. Sure lots still going strong in Sooke and renfrew water.

If you only knew what I paid for that boat you would all cry all I will say it was a deal of a life time the transom and stringers are mint did core samples and every thing found one little spot about the size of a dime where a mercathod was fixed that up.

I personally knew that those were very bad years for bayliner so I would stay away from that thing.
there is some good deals out there still you just have to really look.
When your driving around town look at all the boats sitting in yards ask the owner sometimes all they need is some good elbow grease and you can get them for thousands of dollars cheaper.
like what I did.

Good luck Wolf

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

what do you think it would cost to re-power this Trophy
with a 200hp Yam or Honda ? 20-25k maybe ?
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/2504116&category=power-boats

If you would post how much your willing to spend i bet you would get alot of good suggestions. I also bought my boat across the line, drove down to San Diego and trailered it back for a price that makes peoples mouths drop. I converted it from inboard to outboard with use of a custom made pod and put on new power. if doing all that is not your thing there are still alot of ready to fish boats availble for a good price across the line on the west coast.

Ya for that money why don't you ship something from the east coast? It only costs $2000-$3000 to have a boat shipped on a semi from florida and you could get that exact boat for way under $10,000 easy.

Back