Replacing twins

alumaman

I have a pair of '01 140 suzuki's and found a pair of new '06 counter rotating 150 Yamaha xl still in the crate for under 10k each. I am trying to figure out if there will be much of a difference. The boat is a 27' Lifetimer, the 140's top out at 40 mph and the cruise is around 25-28 mph @ 4500rpm. Tye hull is pretty efficient and I would like 175's but the price makes these look pretty good. There is still some good value in the 140's since they have very low hours. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I just moved up to the DF150s from the DF 140s and love the torque. About 4 to 5 miles an hour over the 140s but lower cruz RPM i would stay with the Suzuki

I have the same year F150 twin yammys (06), not sure if xl 150's are the same but aren't they the extra long shaft ??. My boat is 28' and weighs approximately 7500 lbs. I can run on a plane at 3100 rpm @ 18 knots and fuel economy is approx. 6 GPH both motors combined. cruising speed of 4200 RPM is 28 knots and approx. fuel economy @ 14 GPH both motors combined.

These motors have been absolutely flawless (knock hard on wood) for me and currently have 1200 each. I do not use them for trolling.

Another tidbit about the F150 yammys is the horsepower rating is actually 164. I can't guarantee you'll get a higher top end speed, I used to get 44 top end when the boat was new, but 40 is it now because I've got it loaded with so much fishing crap.

Under 10K each is a steal. Hard to go wrong at that price....Have you priced out the new controls for them ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Back