Regulation Changes Encourage Family Fishing

And it takes away an opportunity from seniors .... Didnt have to do that to increase youth angling opportunities.

Adults and seniors can fish as long as the youth they are supervising are fishing, that's the new part. Was not aware that there are no senior designated only bodies of water anymore. Not all seniors have grand kids they can take out on these designated bodies of water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's to many "seniors" these days hurting for opportunities.

And just how do you know that? It take away anyones fishing opportunity under the guise of increasing youth opportunity is wrong.... it is unnecessary

And just how do you know that? It take away anyones fishing opportunity under the guise of increasing youth opportunity is wrong.... it is unnecessary

It's unnecessary because there really are very few places the regs. apply and really what does it protect? This isn't the 70's where we dropped dead, poor at 68. Those that look after themselves these days can remain active into their 80's. Add to that many "baby boomers" are retiring early and with more wealth than any other generation ever had or will have, one can picture a certain increase on fisheries.

I treat myself to a rare day off work last Fall to beat the crowds. I was surprised to see the river as busy as it is in a normal Saturday. Seniors, of which I am fully aware I will be in not too long, don't need any special opportunities in this day and age. Those just starting out do.

And it takes away an opportunity from seniors .... Didnt have to do that to increase youth angling opportunities.

I still do not see the rationale behind this post. How exactly does this reg change detract from ANY opportunity from seniors? The article clearly states that seniors can still fish these waters unaccompanied.

Maybe Cuba just misread it.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

"Previously, age-restricted waters allowed only youths aged 16 or less, those 65 and older, and disabled anglers access. This reduced interest for families looking for locations where everyone could fish. Under the new youth accompanied waters regulation up to two adults (including those over 65) can fish in age-restricted waters, provided they are accompanied by an eligible youth or disabled angler."

Seniors unaccompanied by a youth, or a disabled angler, will no longer have access to the listed waters, previously they were allowed to fish solo.
The only lake listed I have even seen is Mayo Lake, and it is a small pond, located fairly remotely. Fishing pressure on it is minimal.
I expect the other listed waters are similarly small and probably couldn't take much fishing pressure, which is more likely to occur if mom and dad can now fish alongside the kids.
That said, if it gets the kids into fishing, who can argue, or so says the province.
It will probably tick off a few seniors who enjoy shore casting a line, relaxing in their lawn chairs, bs'ing, and getting a breath of fish air.
And the seniors who use these small lakes are usually the 'elderly' or more frail who no longer can tromp the rivers or manhandle a car topper into the water.

Back