Recommendation For Marine Architect (or just someone with experience designing pods for larger boats)

Phone PDR in Bellingham. He's a wealth of knowledge. You can pm me also. I can tell you what I've learned over the years. The doo's and dont's.

2 for 1? Or is this just afternoon heatstroke kicking in? I've wondered why the shops doing the work don't take measurements of the vessel before chopping it up. Then plan the design from there...

Thanks guys
Hey Mr. Rain City,
If you want to do some self education a decent (not great) resource is TP 1332 E it’s available free online as a PDF download. I also recommend searching out the ABYC aluminum construction guidelines. The Transport Canada Doc is the construction standards for small(ish) boats. It has basic stab calculations that look daunting but they’re not. I used the tables for building my own hypothetical pod before it’s construction and used basic buoyancy calculations using seawater as one of my factors. It worked out great. If you have no interest then I at least give you accolades for adding some type of engineering into the equation instead of emotions and aesthetics.
My advice on materials is that regular 5052 series marine is so grossly inflated in price I strongly recommend stepping up to 5086. It’s way tougher, more corrosion resistant and it’s what commercial/military aluminum boats are made from.
I also highly recommend doing a boring hull extension pod, stepped up pods look amazing and promise all kinds of things but you can’t take advantage of any of their benefits until your well above 30+ knots.

However the only person you need to make happy is yourself :cool:

Attachments

• FB1D052F-5618-4CE1-AC43-A0E7A955907F.jpeg
    FB1D052F-5618-4CE1-AC43-A0E7A955907F.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 5BAEF593-9119-4938-A4CC-17164353B7A1.jpeg
    5BAEF593-9119-4938-A4CC-17164353B7A1.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 93
Okay Its Happening GIF - Okay Its Happening Stay Calm - Discover & Share  GIFs

Hey Mr. Rain City,
If you want to do some self education a decent (not great) resource is TP 1332 E it’s available free online as a PDF download. I also recommend searching out the ABYC aluminum construction guidelines. The Transport Canada Doc is the construction standards for small(ish) boats. It has basic stab calculations that look daunting but they’re not. I used the tables for building my own hypothetical pod before it’s construction and used basic buoyancy calculations using seawater as one of my factors. It worked out great. If you have no interest then I at least give you accolades for adding some type of engineering into the equation instead of emotions and aesthetics.
My advice on materials is that regular 5052 series marine is so grossly inflated in price I strongly recommend stepping up to 5086. It’s way tougher, more corrosion resistant and it’s what commercial/military aluminum boats are made from.
I also highly recommend doing a boring hull extension pod, stepped up pods look amazing and promise all kinds of things but you can’t take advantage of any of their benefits until your well above 30+ knots.

However the only person you need to make happy is yourself :cool:
Thank you for this.

just buy a TIG welder and get cracking ?
I want to INCREASE the value of the boat, not sink it. Honestly though the pod fabrication is the least of my concerns. It's a solid plan and realistic expectations that I'm after.

I want to INCREASE the value of the boat, not sink it. Honestly though the pod fabrication is the least of my concerns. It's a solid plan and realistic expectations that I'm after.

Dear god TIG welding a pod lol.

Good luck. I would phone around spend the money and hire someone who is qualified in marine engineering if you are serious. It isn't about just making a 3D solidworks model and doing a calculation. Or else I would have done mine? A lot of marine engineers use ship construct, and other software that is way better. Your boat would be awesome with an actual hull extension.

Saw your posts. Sucks about your engine.

Last edited:
Dear god TIG welding a pod lol.

Good luck. I would phone around spend the money and hire someone who is qualified in marine engineering if you are serious. It isn't about just making a 3D solidworks model and doing a calculation. Or else I would have done mine? A lot of marine engineers use ship construct, and other software that is way better. Your boat would be awesome with an actual hull extension.

Saw your posts. Sucks about your engine.
Now, now,
I said self educate, not design your own! My engineering is Russian, I copy what works well. Not reinventing the wheel or experimenting. As a matter of fact I encourage not doing any of your own R&D.
However I most definitely did do some math and a buoyancy calculation to ensure my pod wasn’t underwater.

Most importantly, it works

Back