Questions

nedarb2

hey guys, went out oday off tent island cought about an 8 lber and had a few more bites. Next weekeing im going to try porlier pass for the first time..so i have afew questions.....
A)While going through the pass (i was going to troll thorugh the pass and the east side of galiano ialnd) what water depths should i be trolling at?
- ive also been told told to troll just off the shelf on galianos east side, does anybody now how deep that is..and ive also been told the rigger should be 90-115'out.
- I broke one of my rods today, what length of new one should i get..8? 9? 10'?
-My vhf radio (both of them) are recieving calls but today when we towed a boat in, they couldnt hear us talking to them, but we could hear them..so would like the trnasmitter maybe be broken?? theres 2 antennas and 2 vhf's..so im not sure whats up with this.
-Lastly, ive been told to use 7.5' leaders..and anchovies behind an oki gold and oki silver..will this work?
-Thank-you all very much..im very new to this salmon thing so any help will be very appreciated!

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

I think about six feet of leader for chovies is enough in most situations for springs.

Everyone has personal ideas about rods, but a long rod in a small boat is hard to manage when bringing a fish to the net. The SeaKing SK590 MC, which is 9 feet long, is my favourite rod, and it's not much money ($50 or so). I have a Firewolf rod that is similar. These rods have a perfect bend when setup in the rigger, and I've played big fish on them too. Anything longer in a small boat becomes a problem for sure. I would think a rod between 7 and 9 feet is fine for trolling.

That's my 2 cents worth. :)

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

I'd also agree with the rod lengths. All my hard core trolling buddies all insist on their 10.5 foot rods. I tried it out and wasn't all that impressed over my 8.5' rods. I also like to pop the release before bringing it up to get a fish to bite on the upper colums. Exciting when they hit this way. And it's too hard to pop on the longer rods. And lastly in a boat smaller than 21' it's hard to get the fish close enough without going over the side. And lastly it's a pain to reach and attach release. Just my .02 YMMV.

Thanks for the tips guys! I headed into town today and picked up a SeaKing SK590 with reel. Got it all spooled up and ready to go for the weekend..its definetly looks nice to me! My boats 25'..by the way lol. Nayways thank-you!

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

I have to admit I haven't fished with a rod length for salmon, other than very light tackle, other than 10 ft. I think I am better able to maintain pressure on my fish with longer rod length. I like the flex in my old Hardy 10ft 10 inch rod and the pressure I can place on the line while I am clipped on my downrigger. I feel I get better hook sets because of this and I think I am on top of my fish more with more pressure applied, more arch in my rod. If I had the money it would be a 10 ft GL Loomis or Sage with an Islander. What ever works for you.

Back