Question about connecting 3G and Point-1 to HDS gen2 MFD

Olde School

Hello, everyone.

The back of my HDS gen2 has ports for ethernet and NMEA2000.

Would simply connecting my 3G to the ethernet port, and the Point-1 to the NMEA2000 port work?
Not sure why I would need to set up a NMEA2000 backbone when I only would have 1 device on it.

Thank you.

nema n2k needs to be powered and tee'd with terminators...

and make sure your point one is an AP point one?
find it all in the user manuals online if you want print outs

As far as I can tell, the Point-1 needs power (which the MFD doesn't supply - although the the MFD does supply power to the transducer). Power is supplied to the Point-1 by the NMEA backbone. Another clue is the Point-1 cable will not plug into the MFD directly.

You can definitely connect the radar directly to the e net port but you absolutely need a backbone for the nmea2k network. There are kits that come with everything you need. The brand of kit or wires doesn't matter as long as the connectors are micro-c, which is compatible with Lowrance, and Garmin too for example. Raymarine uses their own types of connectors and are not compatible because they are jerks like that.

You can definitely connect the radar directly to the e net port but you absolutely need a backbone for the nmea2k network. There are kits that come with everything you need. The brand of kit or wires doesn't matter as long as the connectors are micro-c, which is compatible with Lowrance, and Garmin too for example. Raymarine uses their own types of connectors and are not compatible because they are jerks like that.
Just to let you know Raymarine NMEA network is very compatible with standard NK2 network. There is an adapter wire for them.

Yes there are always "adapters", at very expensive prices. Nmea2k as a protocol is indeed standard across all manufacturers. I just find it irritating that Raymarine had to go and make their own plastic connectors instead of going with the industry standard micro-c.

Back