Putting boat on blocks

sudsy

Wanting to do some work on my trailer, just wondering if anyone has any experience or ideas for getting he boat off the trailer? Like putting it up on blocks? How do you get the trailer out from underneath?

Thanks in advance!!!

I guess first things first. What kind of boat, how long, weight, etc.

The blocks in the back are the easy part. If you have a place where you can park it under something substantial for lifting the bow off the trailer that is the way to go. Jack up the back with a jack on each side them lift the bow up and drive the trailer out. My boat is a welded aluminum so the bow was strong enough to lift from my anchor pulpit. On a fiberglass boat I would emagine a fiberstrap that butted up against the trailer hook eye or something? Others on here must of done this before?

Wanting to do some work on my trailer, just wondering if anyone has any experience or ideas for getting he boat off the trailer? Like putting it up on blocks? How do you get the trailer out from underneath? Thanks in advance!!!

For smaller boats only. Please use extreme caution. Use tools, not your hands. Choose a safe area to work. chock the trailer wheels.
Use hydraulic jacks, heavy-duty jack stands to back up the jacks, plywood pads, shims and stacked, 4X4 criss-cross blocking with 2X4 cross ties (nailed). []

1) Jack the transom at the keel, clear of the trailer bunks or rollers. Support it with stands and block with 4X4 timbers at both corners and the keel.

2) Now place jacks and second set of stands inside trailer framing, well ahead of the axle(s). Jack at the keel, just high enough to get the hull clear of the trailer. Block it up at the keel, then remove the forward stands. Pull the trailer forward until the axle reaches the blocking.

3) Now block behind the axle(s) at the keel and at the chines for balance. Remove the temporary forward blocking. Repeat the process (2) until the trailer is clear.

4) Reverse the process to get the trailer back under the boat. The winch may help.

This is always done on level ground. When completed, the keel and corners at the transom and the keel and chines around midships is blocked and also the keel toward the bow. Always try to keep the most weight on the blocking at the keel and the weight evenly distributed. Blocking and/or stands at the chines and transom corners is for balance. Get experienced help if you can.

Blocking scared me to death until I watched my buddy whip boats on and off blocks within a few minutes. Get a friend who has done it before to lend a hand or better yet buy a big hydraulic highlighner with no axels!

Thanks for the replies, i have a trophy 1802 walkaround, dry weight is around 2200 lbs, i would definetly rather just tie it up somewhere while i do repairs, maybe buy moorage for 24hrs somewhere, i dont know anyone who has done this before and am definetly nervous about attempting it myself,

I've done it a few times with my 18' lifetimer, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it but things can go wrong, I only knocked it over one time, lol. I've also done the launch the boat method and it's way easier, you should probably do that unless you can get experienced help and lots of blocking. I am lucky to have lots of cordless tools and can do most repairs I needed in the parking lot.

How about parking it on your front lawn? I did that with my 16' years ago.

F D

I've done this a number of times...

tie off the stern and slowly push the boat off the trailer, as you unwind the winch the trailer tongue will
begin rising until the entire weight of the boat is resting on the ground.
once you are finished the repairs, the trailer is lined up to the boat and winched back under the boat
this time the tongue is pointing skyward until the weight of the boat is back on the trailer.

you need two guys to do it properly.

And makes a nice lawn ornament that only a fisherman could appreciate...LOL wives well thats a different story....LOL LOL

ive done it its not hard but ill be honest a bit scary id launch it

My old fiberglass I just tied to a big tree on our farm and put a bunch of old tires underneath. Drive out slowly and add more tires. Putting it back on was just as easy in the reverse order.

Dave

I also have put my 17 ft hourston on the lawn. Not a problem getting it back on. The marina item is probably the easiest with out hurting yourself or breaking something.

Back