Prop Advice for DE 17’ and Yamaha 115

Stizzla

Crew Member
Looks like I’m pulling the trigger on a new one this week.
What size prop and what pitch am I looking for? I know it’s got ample power for my tub. Probably looking for a bit higher cruising speed as hole shot will be great I’m sure with that motor on this hull.

I had a 17ft Double eagle with a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke...bought new in 89. It had a 17 pitch at the time...I had it 3 years before taking the plunge on the Seasport. That 115 did have the start of piston drop on a couple of the holes from too much prop for the weight I was often carrying...4 guys. Piston drop is an ovaling of the piston pins and is a symptom of lugging. In my case to much strain coming out of hole...even though it seemed to jump up on plane easily. If I was to buy that package today knowing what I know now I would put a 15 pitch on it. The boat your buying with 4 stroke...not sure. The hole shot is the critical factor to a healthy longer lasting engine. Once a boat is up on plane the strain is reduced on the crank and rod assemblies.

I will usually be solo or one partner only. Also have a belly tank which helps with weight displacement.
The boat runs very well with a 90, but I want EFI and warranty and I figured the extra 25 ponies is a never a bad thing!

What size prop and what pitch am I looking for? I know it’s got ample power for my tub. Probably looking for a bit higher cruising speed as hole shot will be great I’m sure with that motor on this hull.
I repowered in August at Sherwood Marine with a new 115 Yamaha on a 176 DE. I went with a stainless steel prop 13 1/4 ×18. Hole shot was amazing with two big guys and a full load of fuel. Wide open was only 5600 RPM @ 35 knots. 5600 RPM is on the low end of optimum RPM range on this motor so dropped the pitch to 16". Hole shot it even better. Top speed is now 32 knots at 5900 RPM.

I repowered in August at Sherwood Marine with a new 115 Yamaha on a 176 DE. I went with a stainless steel prop 13 1/4 ×18. Hole shot was amazing with two big guys and a full load of fuel. Wide open was only 5600 RPM @ 35 knots. 5600 RPM is on the low end of optimum RPM range on this motor so dropped the pitch to 16". Hole shot it even better. Top speed is now 32 knots at 5900 RPM.
Thanks. Very helpful.
What’s cruising speed/rpm?

when I purchased a new engine a couple of years ago from Port boat house in Parksville, they let me try different props till i found the one that works for my needs. Are you purchasing a new engine or just a new prop? They are worth checking out for new engine.....price well below others in mid/north island.

See if the dealer will let you try props before buying,a 17P should be a good starting point and then see what RPM she runs at.My Malibu 17 runs a tad high w/the 17P @ 6000 RPM with the F115 Yamaha.

About a month. It was the last one and a part had a scratch on it from the crate so they are replacing said part.

I had a 13 7/8x19 stainless on my 115 e-tec that I put on my 17 hourston. Cruise rpm was 4200 at 27-29 mph
The guy I’m dealing with will do some sea trials to find the right prop, he’s thinking 19 on a stainless or 21 on aluminum. Leaning towards the 19 stainless myself but it’s great that I get to test them out.

I have a DE 176 with a yamaha 115 (2011). I had a 13 7/8 x19, then 13 7/8x21 (better). I decided to try a 4 blade Solas 12 1/2 x19 which has not come off. Same top end speed 35kts, better hole shot and lower planing speed. All have been aluminum

Back