Prawning/ crabbing at sandheads?

Shineyshiney

Fishing has been great at the sandheads. I'm a new fisherman and thinking of doing some crabbing but the commercial boats buzzing around at the 50' depths. Curious if I can do some prawning in the with success given there are no commercial prawning yet. Any success with crabs or prawns for the recreational fisherman there?

Hey Shiney
Crabbing would be successful in the Sandheads area, might be a little fished out but only one way to find out. Just keep well away from the commercial traps. Heavy currents down that way so make sure you have anough weight to stop the trap from getting washed away. Also allow for the tide rising and make sure you have enough rope or your float will go under water. I have never dropped there as we come from English bay. I dropped a trap a week ago and got 3 keepers.

Prawns tend to be in the 250-400’ depth. Guys mostly do that in Howe sound Bowen island areas locally.

Good luck.

Hey Shiney
Crabbing would be successful in the Sandheads area, might be a little fished out but only one way to find out. Just keep well away from the commercial traps. Heavy currents down that way so make sure you have anough weight to stop the trap from getting washed away. Also allow for the tide rising and make sure you have enough rope or your float will go under water. I have never dropped there as we come from English bay. I dropped a trap a week ago and got 3 keepers.

Prawns tend to be in the 250-400’ depth. Guys mostly do that in Howe sound Bowen island areas locally.

Good luck.
I’ve tried for crab off sandheads each year, always catch lots and never anything legal! Seriously the commercial guys must keep them if the are within a 1/4”… this year I caught (and released) one that was maybe 1/8” too small and that’s as close as I’ve ever gotten.
Would be nice I’m sure a couple months after commercial guys close.

I've tried at sandheads and the same thing- heavy traps but zero keepers after 4 traps. Kids were sad haha.

Thank you for all your advice, appreciate. Looks like I'll need to head closer to Howe Sound if I want more than fishing. Having said that- Sandheads has been a blast this year!

For Prawning- I know there are some restrictions on the reefs- but I usually see the buoys on the south side of bowen or near the ferry- are we allowed to do it anywhere inside the sound? (Please let me know if I can't name the spots and I will edit this post- can also DM me if you prefer to keep things low- I'm new in general to forums and unsure of etiquette).

There are a lot of sponge reefs that cannot have traps dropped on them. If you have maps that are current you will see the areas are marked. Have a look at passage island for example, most of the area around there it is illegal to drop traps due to sponge reefs.

Back