Potential new world record

walleyes

Crew Member
Have any of you guy's seen this yet ???? quite the monster... This fish was caught in lake Diefenbaker In Sask. Lake Diefenbaker is a very large lake created by damning up the Sask river..

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/index

WoW Walleyes, the biggest that I have ever heard of was one around 21 lbs. or so that was caught in Jasper National Park. Before they poisoned Carson Lake near Whitecourt Alberta, there were several in the 12 lb. class that were caught with one that went 16 lbs. out of Hasse Lake just West of Edmonton, but nothing like this! Thanks for the link. Seawolf 1

WOW what an amazing large ugly bow! As ugly as it is, its pretty cool! I was reading a few of the replies and one person mentioned buying brookies and triploid rainbows.......where do make such a purchase??

I think kootney lake might have a few brutes that will push that weight. Atleast those fish look like normal trout.

Not only are these fish triploids, but they were originally farmed in lake pens for the table. I was guiding in Saskatchewan in '98 when they first began "escaping" from the pens into the main lake - the average size of these fish was 10 lbs and the odd one would be caught by pike fishermen fishing with big rapala plugs. 10 years later with nothing to worry about but eating everything that moves and I guess that's how big they are! IMO these fish should be considered a distinct species for the purpose of the IGFA records - I don't see how we can compare these "Barry Bonds" fish with wild Gerrard rainbows.

It's ugly and I would do it a favour and kill it due to pity to put it out of it's misery so the other fish didn't laugh at it. [}:)] What an ugly fish! who cares how how big it is. Pellet Pig!!

I agree it's not the nicest looking thing is it.. Just figured it was an interesting read...
I can't see how this fish can stand for any records do to its genetic altering ??? But it may only be line records not an actual fish record...
That being said how many fish that we catch now a days are native anyways ??? not many....
Take the famed Rivers Inlet for instance... The local hatchery ran by the local lodges try and collect the eggs and sperm from the largest of the Salmon only,, if they can and use those for rearing and as such are tampering with nature themselves....
I really doubt there are many Rainbow in either of our provinces (B.C. /A.B.) that are really true native fish.... I know in Alberta we only have one tributary on the Athabasca Drainage that still holds true native Rainbow....

Back