Poacher Pollution

Jesse B.

Again this weekend, came across two poachers coming down from fishing closed water. They explained they didnt know the water was closed whilst directly behind them was a sign glowing orange and white proclaiming fishing Boundry. They didnt read the regs. So did they use roe? Did they harvest spawning steelhead? Did they poach a small run of spawning steelhead? Did they drag dirty old spawny boots around for hoisting photos of themselves? Did they rob every angler in B.C.? Yes they did, and they did it because they said they didnt know. I did report them to the CO but I wondered, what would you do? What could you do to stop poaching on your local waters? Ideas? angler managment? fines? death penalty...sort of kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of us have smart phones these days, I think pictures are our best friends in situations like that.

Yeah, snap some pictures from a safe distance, write down license plate # and report them. At least they will be on file as possible poachers if a CO see's them in the area.

I think minimum mandatory fines should certainty be in place though, and possibly we could cut into some of the politicians bonus's to have some money to budget more enforcement.

I think minimum mandatory fines should certainty be in place though, and possibly we could cut into some of the politicians bonus's to have some money to budget more enforcement.

Should seize all their gear and auction it off. That plus a fine.

Pleading ignorance is every poachers response when caught.

Report is all you could do. My bro watched these three guys blast swans out if the sky in Ladner YES swans. All had no licences and 5000 beretta guns . Proud about it too. Not sure what happend to them.

Seizing gear and auctioning it off is a remarkable idea, but its tough because were losing our enforcement slowly but surely. In my 15 years fishing, I remember only one time Ive been talked to by fisheries. Any fisherman can put two and two together, and say 'hey, action off the poachers gear and fine them, and use that money to pay for enforcement!' but unfortunately the only math the government knows is the math that puts money in their pockets.

Let me guess, guys dressed in high end waders with real nice rods with single pins and bait casters? They often are and they should know better. Time for a c.o.r.e like requirement. IMO. Not that it would change those types but it is time to educate our youth.

Back