plexi glass walkaround enclosure?

nedarb2

Were going to be getting an enclosure for the boat done this winter. Was going to go with the traditional curtains around the hardtop on all 4 sides, but then i got thinking. Has anyone, or does anyone have something to say, about doing plexiglass windows around the front and 2 sides, then just a curtain on the back side? the only drawback i see to this is that it would be more-less non removeable, or atleast wouldnt be able to roll it up while out on the water if we wanted to, but with our bc weather thats not really an issue.

I think you would need a pretty beefy frame to hold the plexi. When I built a T-Top for my fishing machine, everything was 2" Aluminium Tubing, and it still wiggled a fair bit. Not to say it wouldn't work, but I think the scope of that project would be quite intense.

Sit in the back of your boat, get your buddy to drive over a wake, and watch your existing hard top, I'll bet it does the Macarena. So Plexi would probably crack, and I think it may salt etch, but I'm not sure. Plastic curtains you can get your grandma to sew new ones in every season for many years for the cost of doing plexi, me thinks..

Were going to be getting an enclosure for the boat done this winter. Was going to go with the traditional curtains around the hardtop on all 4 sides, but then i got thinking. Has anyone, or does anyone have something to say, about doing plexiglass windows around the front and 2 sides, then just a curtain on the back side? the only drawback i see to this is that it would be more-less non removeable, or atleast wouldnt be able to roll it up while out on the water if we wanted to, but with our bc weather thats not really an issue.
I built one for my other boat two years ago and I am in the drawing stages for my new boat, and I hope I can improve the last one. I used aluminum for the top and part of the suport in 3/16 aluminum sheeting. A metal work shop in town order two sheets for me and cut it and bended for me and welded a few angles and support. I used to get a fair bit of 1/4" plexi for free at work and should have enough for this new project. The one thing to keep in mind is the weight, the last one I did must have added 200lbs to the boat but I used too many stainless fittings instead of welding. I think the idea of curtains on the back is a good idea, I might come around the back 8-10" on either side. I would be glad to share ideas.
Ray

Do not use plexiglass, unless you want the clearest of days to look foggy lol. It scuffs and scratches real easy, and it breaks in large shards.. If anything, take a look at Lexan. When you are done looking and pass on Lexan (cuz its pricy), go get laminated glass. You will be much happier, and the cost of plexi is more than the cost of laminated glass.
Its reasonably cheap new (cut to whatever size you want) or a lot of auto window shops are selling used, but defect free laminated glass at reduced costs. Framed windows start at a couple hundred for small ones and go up from there.

Back