Pitt River - Proposed ban on jet boats

He always puts out this BS every year around sockeye time.

His motives have nothing to do with fish and everything to do with his clients having exclusive access though his lodge.

After reading the article and doing no further research, his argument seems pretty sound.. Boats are destroying redds and stirring up and crushing salmon eggs.. Restrict boat access to those locations.. Problem solved.. No?

This is how I would have looked at the issue before I was directly impacted by a blanket closure. But now I know there must be another side to the story..
@wildmanyeah care to share??

Dan Gerak trying to have a complete monopoly of who is on the upper Pitt. Any rise in water with rain freshet etc does more damage than the jet boats will ever do.
Why is there boats parked in front of his lodge if he is so concerned about it?

If he is truly concerned about the fish...then maybe we should limit the number of rod days on the river. The same fish getting beat down everyday by guide after guide.

Comes out with the same ******** every year....this has nothing to do with conservation and everything to do monopolization.

Dan Gerak trying to have a complete monopoly of who is on the upper Pitt. Any rise in water with rain freshet etc does more damage than the jet boats will ever do.
Why is there boats parked in front of his lodge if he is so concerned about it?

If he is truly concerned about the fish...then maybe we should limit the number of rod days on the river. The same fish getting beat down everyday by guide after guide.

Comes out with the same ******** every year....this has nothing to do with conservation and everything to do monopolization.

This is my understanding for the most part. However, I think it's the mini-jets that are zipping along in the side channels that he's trying to use as an example of the whole boating scene.

That’s great that Klopp is commenting on a place that she has never been to.
Gerak just came out with an article saying that the reason why Alaska’s sockeye returns are so good is because of lack of Jet boats.

So the moral of this story is business at the lodge is down and jet boating is up?

No conflict of interest there at all.

Last edited:
Ya, and I'm finding Gerak's assertion that: "pressure from the jet engine “kills off the eggs,” They could be responsible for killing juvenile smolts by their wash." a bit hard to believe - as a blanket assertion. I sure can understand how jet boats could temporarily scare off spawning salmon during spawning time, and that the jets could suck-up and/or wash out eggs from redds during that time - as Hume as stated. That's not all year-round, tho. And once safely 12-18 inches in the gravel - both eggs and alveins would be expected to be reasonably isolated from jet wash and other above redd surface hydraulic disturbances - unless the gravel is moved around past 12 inches or so. I'm not seeing how jet wash would do that - major flood events with scouring - yes - but not jet wash going by. Gerak should be challenged on his assertions...

just ban fishing and powered boats altogether on the pitt. job done. no incentives to run jet boats. no incentives for guides. no incentives for first nations to deploy nets. everyone is all one big unhappy family. other than the fish, of course. i bet mr. first nations guide wont get behind that one.

I’ve been to this rodeo and know who the riders are. I saw it all in the Quality Waters Strategy gambit up in Area 6 on the Skeena and its tribs.

You get a group of guides together who get tired of having to compete with guys like me, you know the type, the guys who are standing in THEIR water fishing for THEIR steelhead.

So under the guise of “Quality” they push the Province to up the dollar per day daily entrance fee on every river, their attempt to scare off any pretenders.....then they buy a few drinks for the F.N. Elders and get them to charge $ 100 per day for any out of towners who set foot on FN land, a deft double-dip if there ever was one.

Of course it’s all slutted up with the lip stick of “resource conservation” , but if you peek beneath the petticoats of the provincial regulatory changes, it’s all about conserving the resource for the guides to go beat up on on the steelhead at will.

Last year driving out of Smithers at 7 AM I saw a traffic jam, an unbroken line of trucks pulling jet boats on trailers, maybe thirty of them, all impatient to get out of town with their crew cabs full of well-heeled clients, all on their way to go roaring up and down the Bulkley and the Skeena in a choking pall of hydro carbon, to...you know...get all that Quality Waters Strategy ... for them and their clients...

Last edited:
Back