Phospate Levels in Elk Lake

winephart

Crew Member
Has anyone heard about any phosphate problems in Elk Lake? I have talked to several people who claim that the phosphate level in the lake has risen over the last year and that as a result, the lower half of the water column can't hold oxygen.

I've googled the district of saanich and elk lake and can't find any info. I have found a couple of decade old posts that warn that the system is prone to phosphate loading.

Not sure what can be done to remedy the situation or if the municipality even is aware. Bad news for anything living in the lake.

Wouldn't suprise me in the least. You have a lake surrounded by a decent grade all around with big houses / gardens / lawns pissing right in. Sounds like a fair theory. CRD may have a clue but doubt it.

This issue was discussed at the April 24 meeting of the Elk/Beaver Lake Recreational Use Advisory Group chaired by CRD Parks. Previous water quality sampling in the 1980's and 1990's indicated a concern for phosphorous and recommended the
installation of an aerator along with regular water quality evaluations every three years. Objectives should be set for phosphorous and other chemical nutrients. Irregular water sampling and analysis has been conducted from time to time but no
formal, regular monitoring is being done. Phosphorous accumulates through introduction of fertilizers and detergents used on lawns and gardens and through septic fields. A high percentage of the phosphorous is tied up in the lake sediments and
recirculated into the water column during part of the year. Aerators, like at Langford Lake, can greatly improve water quality and increase oxygen levels in the deeper stratified waters; thus improving the environment for trout by oxygenating the
cooler deep water. An aerator of suitable size plus some required infrastructure could cost around $600,000 for Elk Lake.

I have been fishing Elk lake since the late 70's. The housing around it has not changed significantly so I can't see where that has had an impact. What I've noticed over those years is that the fish are less plentiful, however, they are bigger. But I think that is what they're stocking now vs. then. Tzenzaicut vs. Pennask AF3N.

Back in the day I had many 20+ fish days, not anymore. now 2 to 6 fish is common but they are bigger. The Tzenzaicut were thinner but more fighty and plentiful then the AF3N Pennask fish.

Has fertilizer and the likes changed that much in 30 years? I doubt it. If so, I would think lesser since people are more environmentally conscious.

So what has to happen to get the CRD to recognize that there is a problem and then start to look for solutions?

I used to drive all over Victoria, Langford, Sooke and Sidney back in the sixties every day Mon thru Friday as part of my job.

If you could see the places back then you wouldn't believe how many people/businesses have moved here up to now.

And it is still increasing daily.

Back in those days, Elk lake and the Pat bay highway were quite quiet places with a modicum of traffic, considered 'the boonies' actually.

The developers,yuppies and retirees are killing off Vancouver Island at a faster pace than ever.

The developers don't give a s**t about water supply or quality thereof ....they just want their money and they're gone.

The Elk lake now is not the Elk lake I used to know.

I lived in Victoria back then for a long time.......

The fish might be bigger.....but they are in other lakes here as well....thanks to the genetically modified "Triploid" variety of trout that are put in same. I know Elk Lake has Triploids in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite right Seafever it isn't the same lake as it was in the 60's. It has a big problem with Phosphate levels!
So the question is still what has to happen to get the CRD to recognize that there is a problem and then start to look for solutions?

Back