PFO's Checking Licenses?

Good Morning All,

We were out at Mine Lake on Quadra yesterday afternoon before the thunder rolled in, and at the boat launch there was a BC Parks' PFO (Park Facility Officer) launching his boat to do campsite maintenance on the lake. He noticed my fly rod, and said he wanted to see me license for 'due diligence'. Not knowing 100% what his jurisdiction was, I passed over my papers, but left with the question in my head. Can a PFO check licenses? Anyone had that experience?

Cheers,

dont think he would have any legal jurisdiction...i woulda told him to go clean the bathrooms.

To best of my knowledge BC Parks Rangers can check for Wildlife Act compliance within a BC Park. A facility operator is not a Ranger and would have to show his or her special designation under the Parks Act as a "Parks Ranger" in order to have same authority.

To best of my knowledge BC Parks Rangers can check for Wildlife Act compliance within a BC Park. A facility operator is not a Ranger and would have to show his or her special designation under the Parks Act as a "Parks Ranger" in order to have same authority.

Yup

They are contractors hired to do park maintenance, collect fees and deal with a$$holes. They have no authority to ask for licences.

Complain to the parks office in Black Creek about how you were treated by a park contractor.

Cheers

SS

Good Morning All,

We were out at Mine Lake on Quadra yesterday afternoon before the thunder rolled in, and at the boat launch there was a BC Parks' PFO (Park Facility Officer) launching his boat to do campsite maintenance on the lake. He noticed my fly rod, and said he wanted to see me license for 'due diligence'. Not knowing 100% what his jurisdiction was, I passed over my papers, but left with the question in my head. Can a PFO check licenses? Anyone had that experience?

Cheers,

Busted, but you did the right thing, good on you.

Not saying the guy did the right thing or had the authority but if it chases a few away that don't have a license then that can't be a bad thing.
Personally I would have whipped mine out but not let it out of my hands and it would be getting stowed pretty quick.
Here's my license but if you want my personal info (name, address, ID etc) prove to me you have the authority to ask for it.
Aren't we all complaining there's not enough enforcement to go around anyway ?

Not saying the guy did the right thing or had the authority but if it chases a few away that don't have a license then that can't be a bad thing.
Personally I would have whipped mine out but not let it out of my hands and it would be getting stowed pretty quick.
Here's my license but if you want my personal info (name, address, ID etc) prove to me you have the authority to ask for it.
Aren't we all complaining there's not enough enforcement to go around anyway ?

I 2nd! Can't hurt.

From the Regulation Synopsis:

"You must carry your licence while sport
fishing and, if asked, produce it for
inspection by a Conservation Officer, Fishery
Officer, RCMP constable, Park Ranger in a
park
, or an Officer under the Wildlife Act."

Thinking about this fellows uniform, he must have been a Park Ranger, not a PFO.

Cheers!

Back