Pender Bluffs

100.jpgHere's a photo of the 32 lber I got back on Sept 2.Won it back from a seal as well.Too bad as I may have put him back if I thought there was a good chance of him living another day.
Got to admit he was a tasty bugger after he came out of the smoker though!Thanks for a great month
of fishing Pender Bluffs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice catch, FF. I guess that's it for the bluffs.
I'm much a rookie in these parts. Are there any hotspots for September or is that it for the season?

Thanks Mavericko.Things seem to be slowing down in Sooke so makes sense that the same will occur at the bluffs.
Not that you couldn't still pick a nice one up there,but it wont be like the fishing we had at the end of Aug.,beginning
of Sept.I've got enough fish in the freezer to do me a while,so that's my reason for pulling the pin.There's still the coho
to move through yet,but I hate weeding through all the wild fish for just the hatch jobs.Good luck to ya if you decide to get out there.

Heading out this morning. How are the bluffs producing? I haven't been out in a couple weeks. Worth the trip from Sidney or fish Powder Wharf?
Current advice/info appreciated:)
Thanks Guys

BLUFFS REPORT:
Today in 3 hours on the tide change...
1 - 16lb spring
1 - pink
2 - hatchery coho
Threw back 3 wild coho
37 on the rigger on 1 side and 89 on the other side.
Chovies, bloody nose teaser heads, green flashers.
Hope this helps some fellow fishermen out.
Tight lines.

I'm heading out after work for a couple hours tonight. Here's hoping!
Cannonball: How deep of water were you?

I think it was about 190 - 220 of water. All fish were caught under the left high mansion (when looking at the bluffs) off the bird crap stain around the tide change.
1 rigger at 37 for the coho and pinks
1 rigger at 89 for the springs
Seems like my boat, and a white aluminum were nailing them and circling that spot. A few other boats caught on after they saw me play a spring for 10 minutes and solo land a 16 and then the aluminum got a 20-25 by the looks of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out last night from 5:15-6:45. Four wild coho to the boat, all happily released. Nothing of great size. 85' on one side, and 45' on the other, out in 275' of water off the left crap wall. No one else was catching anything, so I felt pretty pleased about myself ;)

Was running an experiment of Durabait vs Real Anchovy. So far the score is tied 2-2.

Todays Bluff report:
Fished the tide change 10:00 - 2:00
Fished 37 ft 45 ft 54ft 69ft 89 ft 99ft 109ft - pretty much covered the depths.
Picked up a couple small shakers that were a hair bigger than my chovies that were tossed back for next year.
Official count in the boat from the bluffs: zero
Saw only 1 net go up today at the bluffs
Luckily we ventured elsewhere to nail a 17# Ling, Rock Cod and 8 big dungeoness crabs!
Maybe that blood moon messed with the bite?

Yes, seemed pretty slow. I wanted to get rid of a pack of herring in my freezer so I gave cut plugging a try at the bluffs with no love from the chinooks, 1 wild coho but that was it. 40-90ft.

Was out yesterday for 6 hours washing gear. I was running everything from Krippled K's, to Coho Killer, Sandlance, Bait, Hoochies, fake bait, and coyotes.

Not a single bite, no other boats with anything either.

Back