Parts/service Yamaha Outboards

Hot-Streak

With Ina now closed and SG power before them I have run out of places in Victoria to get parts to do servicing on my Yamaha outboard.

Where other yamaha owners planning on getting parts from? I'm talking about 100 hour service/oil change kits, filters etc.

I'm not a fan of Sherwood marine. Is there another Yamaha parts dealer in town or a reputable online seller?

You don't have to get genuine Yamaha stuff. I've got a Fram Tough Guard on my F-150 and run Rotella 5w40 (the best oil you can buy imo). I bought my last set of plugs from Lordco.

For oil filters I like Napa Gold filters the best.

Nothing wrong with genuine Yami but when it comes to service parts you can shop pretty much anywhere.

You don't have to get genuine Yamaha stuff. I've got a Fram Tough Guard on my F-150 and run Rotella 5w40 (the best oil you can buy imo). I bought my last set of plugs from Lordco.

For oil filters I like Napa Gold filters the best.

Nothing wrong with genuine Yami but when it comes to service parts you can shop pretty much anywhere.
I thought Rotella is diesel oil , not for gas engines .

I thought Rotella is diesel oil , not for gas engines .
Rotella T6 full synthetic is a diesel formulation, and thats why I like it. You can run a diesel rated oil in gas engine but not gas rated oil in a diesel. The reason is that diesels require better oil to withstand the working loads within the engine as well as handle the choking soot that fouls it through its service life. Gas engines dont have the same operating requirements, as well as *in cars* they have expensive catalytic convertors to consider. As an engine burns oil the anti wear additives accumulate on the catalyst surface and essentially plugs the cat; a costly repair. In our outboards T6 is an excellent choice because of the extra cleaning, soot carrying, and anti wear additives present in diesel rated oils.

I've been running it in our 150 since the first oil change (10 years), but the hours are low so it's not a real 'life' test.

Rotella T6 full synthetic is a diesel formulation, and thats why I like it. You can run a diesel rated oil in gas engine but not gas rated oil in a diesel. The reason is that diesels require better oil to withstand the working loads within the engine as well as handle the choking soot that fouls it through its service life. Gas engines dont have the same operating requirements, as well as *in cars* they have expensive catalytic convertors to consider. As an engine burns oil the anti wear additives accumulate on the catalyst surface and essentially plugs the cat; a costly repair. In our outboards T6 is an excellent choice because of the extra cleaning, soot carrying, and anti wear additives present in diesel rated oils.

I've been running it in our 150 since the first oil change (10 years), but the hours are low so it's not a real 'life' test.
where do you get the Rotella t6?

I should say that you're going to want to cross over your part numbers ahead of time, or have the yamaha part in your hand when you stroll into lordco, or napa, and so on. They'll look at you like you have two heads if you say you need plugs for a 2015 250 outboard. If you throw an NGK plug number at them they'll understand what to do from there. Water pump impellors and other more specific parts will still need to be purchased from the Yamaha guys.

I should say that you're going to want to cross over your part numbers ahead of time, or have the yamaha part in your hand when you stroll into lordco, or napa, and so on. They'll look at you like you have two heads if you say you need plugs for a 2015 250 outboard. If you throw an NGK plug number at them they'll understand what to do from there. Water pump impellors and other more specific parts will still need to be purchased from the Yamaha guys.
Lordco can bring in aftermarket (Seirra, etc...) impeller kits and anything from Western Marine too.

Thanks everyone.

All good info. I ended up ordering parts from sherwood awhile ago this time. Cost about $500 for the "waterpump repair kit" and the timing belt for my 2020 90HP yamaha VMAX SHO. Same parts will work on the standard F115.

Going forward I'll likely see the price difference in aftermarket for the 100hour oil change and leg oil. but timing belt and waterpump won't be due for a few years after this.

Rotella 15w40 is great stuff. I run it in our family Mastercraft with the an inboard 350/5.7. Check your owner's manual to confirm it meets all the specs.

Great product and typically decently priced.

Back