Panther Electric Steer

• Thread starter Thread starter Reel Eze
  • Start date Start date
R

Reel Eze

Does anyone have any experience with a Panther Electric steer for a
kicker. I currently have a 22' Trophy with I/O and currently no kicker I live in Campbell River and when the tides are really big it's impossible to fish the lighthouse drift or anywhere for that matter without ending with a huge mess of tangled gear etc.

I would like to know if anyone has used a Panther steering unit, is it a good buy or is their some other rig setup I could use?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

There have been a number of posts on these units, and you may want to look back at them . In short form however, here is the scoop. They have had durability issues in the past. I have had two replaced and each failed in about a year - water getting in and killing them. They have replaced it yet again, and they have addressed the issues as follows.
Rubber coat/sealed the motor
O-ring seal unit added at rod end of unit to eliminate the primary water ingress site.
Being paranoid, I would probably sika flex seal around the power card where it enters the unit. With these fixes, the unit should be bullet proof and give good long service. As far as convenience goes, they are terrific! The only other thing to be aware of is that the screw holding the wireless control (should you get it)unit is very easily stripped. So, you should plan on modifying it slightly with a small nut/bolt at some point. Again, the versatility of the wireless unit is great. I would still rig up the wired control that comes with the Panther, if only as a back-up in case the wireless unit battery fails.
Cheers

Too much water, too little time

I have had two units stop working now over the last year, last week it went for a crap the night before leaving to Nootka sound {not a happy camper} I'm just about to e-mail the company and see what reply I get from them.:(

I just installed one on my boat this year and so far so good. what mod do you guys have ,the box style or the one that mounts to the tilt tube.

Have the outfit you bought it from put you in touch with the rep from Western Marine, and he will take good care of you. He looked after me properly, and I have nothing but good things to say about him.

Too much water, too little time

I went through three units and have finally given up. Each one had a different problem. With the last and final straw one, I used a new one for one weekend and it failed. The cover on the movable plate warped and prevented the plate from moving in one direction. I switched to the EZ Steer system and am, so far, very happy.
:)

Norskman

Back