Oyster farming off Victoria?

Adler

Was out for a kayak off Victoria yesterday, Esquimalt Lagoon area, and paddled past a black buoy that I would normally have assumed was for a commercial crab pot. Something just under the buoy caught my eye though, and took a closer look to find it was suspending a column of traps (a spiral of pots essentially) just under the surface, and looked to have oysters inside, like a litle oyster hotel. I couldn't tell if it was floating freely or maybe anchored from below in that spot, but had some kelp caught around the buoy. No numbers or any markings on the buoy.

Is this standard oyster farming technique? And are there usually oyster farm set ups like this off Edquimalt Lagoon, or was this perhaps a lost setup? Thoughts?

Some farms have longlines with trays of oysters hanging off it. Should be more buoys keeping the longline suspended just under the surface though.

this is the new cost effective and green version of sewage treatment. should be market grade in 3 months. you get antibiotics, birth control and opiates with every oyster.

this is the new cost effective and green version of sewage treatment. should be market grade in 3 months. you get antibiotics, birth control and opiates with every oyster.
You're really selling me on this

Back