Outboard life expectancy

scott craven

How long do you expect your outboard to last without a major mechanical failure ?
From what I've read, the newer outboards should get 3000-5000 hours
as long as properly maintained.

Last boat I sold had 3150 hour Yamaha 4 stroke on it and its still going strong. My present Trophy has 940 hrs and doesnt miss a beat. As long as its maintained ( plugs, impellor and most important a proper flush out after each use they will last.

I am expecting to get all of 3000hrs out of my optimax. Good oil and clean fuel has provided me with approx 150hrs/year trouble free so far, 750hrs to date 400hrs of which are mine. I've done new belt and fuel filters as required.

my twin Yamaha 150's (F150 and LF150) have 875hrs and the highest I have ever heard of was over 10,000
which I also heard belongs to David Murphy but don't quote me on that

Forever.........

Not my pic

hqdefault.jpg

It would depend on how you use it. Seems like the commercial guys get more ours in them but they put the hours on quick. I think if you take care of them you should get 5000 hours forsure for most users that like 20 years if its there main motor not trolling a lot

It would depend on how you use it. Seems like the commercial guys get more ours in them but they put the hours on quick. I think if you take care of them you should get 5000 hours forsure for most users that like 20 years if its there main motor not trolling a lot

that seems like quite a stretch JAC. Older carbeurated 2 strokes will run forever , but in my experience Direct Injection 2 strokes never make it past 2000 hours. I am NOT including trolling hours. I would not expect a commercial 4 stroke to live much past 3000 hours.Again not including trolling hours.

beemer

that seems like quite a stretch JAC. Older carbeurated 2 strokes will run forever , but in my experience Direct Injection 2 strokes never make it past 2000 hours. I am NOT including trolling hours. I would not expect a commercial 4 stroke to live much past 3000 hours.Again not including trolling hours.

beemer

Yes, a lot more realistic. I usually get 2500-3000 on my twin optis

When I say commercial like a lodge running 90hp on a tin boat with no kicker. They put on 1000hours a year trolling or on step. And it's not like you can just count hours when your cruising and not when your trolling. 1 hour is a hour at 600rpm or wot!

So what you guys are sayin is - my 225HP Yamaha four stroke with 56 hours on it should be good for awhile? :)

I'm hoping to get another 20 years from the 2 stroke I'm rebuilding. Maybe by then I can afford one of those fancy 2014 4 strokes. Lol

When I say commercial like a lodge running 90hp on a tin boat with no kicker. They put on 1000hours a year trolling or on step. And it's not like you can just count hours when your cruising and not when your trolling. 1 hour is a hour at 600rpm or wot!

too true JAC! I am a believer of the "fuel in" formula. The more fuel your engine processes is the "true" life of the engine. The newer engines can be scanned telling you how and at what rpm the engine was operated .It is my believe that that you can tell how the engine lived its life through these scans.

There is also a correlation for engine life with how many cold to hot and hot to cold cycles an engine goes through. An engine that does lots of hours with longer runs and less start ups should last longer than an engine with the same hours but is started and shutoff more often on shorter runs.

Back