OT: The Old Boys Club Git 'Er Done

IronNoggin

The stage was initially set for this hunt just over 49 years ago.
Back then I was a sailing and canoe instructor for the big summer camp on Wakah Lake in Saskatchewan.

One late afternoon I noted a couple moving in to the cabin closest to our Camp, separated by a narrow body of water. What caught my interest was the fact their daughter was the prettiest Gal I had ever seen. I also noticed I was far from alone in that assessment.

Just after dark, one of the counsellors came to me and asked if I had any idea where the three missing lads might be. Yep. Waded the creek, and sure as shooting there were the three of them juggling for the attentions of that beautiful gal over a nice little fire.

Gentz, I hate to break this up but if you ain’t in your bunks within 15 minutes, there is talk of a call to your folks and possibly punting you from this year’s program. The looks I got were pure murder, but they unwillingly complied.

One of the three approached me the next day suggesting what I had done was quite “ballsy”. Not really I explained, simply had to be done. That fellow (who has chosen to remain nameless) was only three months behind me in age (16). And that was the start of a tight and lifelong friendship. We had a LOT in common, cars, ladies, guns, hunting & fishing and more.

Jump forward to this spring when I asked about moose in his area. Damn tough odds on the draw, and perhaps the hardest place to hunt them in I know was his response. Sounds like that’s right up our alley was mine.

After the draws were announced I called to see what he got. Nada for him, his extended family and his neighbors. Going to miss my moose he stated. Nope, you’re not sez I, rumor has it a good buddy of yours drew the tag and is offering up half a moose for your help if we manage to pull this off! Pause, then GAME ON!!

Summer seemed to drag on forever as I impatiently awaited my departure time. My Partner and I chatted frequently, and decided to initiate our pursuit on a Monday to avoid the weekend warriors. I managed to get the second last ferry reservation for the preceding Saturday, with the intent of visiting a couple of great Buddies in Vancouver before fleeing North. That was a heck of a fine evening alright, and I departed the next day for the 10 hour run Northwards.

I stopped to have a chat with Steve Rupp along the way, and he both reaffirmed his personal choice of moose attractant scents as well as handing me an extremely fine old Moose Call Horn! Wow! Had a great chat about tactics and more before I sadly had to flee. Not being able to drive in the dark any more meant getting back on the road and boogying! Many Thanks Steve! Your help all round was extremely beneficial!

Arriving at a prearranged point, there sat camp in all her glory – a very well attributed motor home! And of course my Buddy of damn near 50 years. Hell of a fine reunion that night as we discussed plane for the hunt, and previous adventures we had shared over the years.

The next morning it was drizzly and warm as we set off into the dark. Passed over a bridge early on, and marveled at the volume of flow beneath us. Been raining a bit he said, which of course has caused the river to gain a little strength.

As we pulled into the first location, my Buddy noted he had secured permission for us to hunt there from the landowner. I was absolutely stunned just how thick the brush and trees were. We’re hunting this I inquired? Yep. But there a couple openings a little better than 2 kilometers in. Neither of us have ever been much on road hunting, but this put a new definition to the term Hunting In The Rough! He noted that by getting away from the “easier” places and off the road, the odds of anyone coming along and bumping off an incoming bull were greatly reduced. To which I immediately concurred.

So we forced our way into the jungle, until we ran into an obviously well used game trail. Hopping from trail to trail in the dim light, I was absolutely amazed my Partner could find his way in that tangle! Not being at all familiar with the area, I was disoriented and would have soon been completely lost!

Arriving at the first “clearing” I was somewhat dismayed to realize my “kill zone” there would be around 30 yards in three directions, and point blank in the last. Tight does not do that situation justice. Nonetheless, we soaked a scentless tampon in Buck Expert’s Mare In Heat attractant and hung it in a tree near the center of the “clearing”.

Then off to the next site a fair bit further in. That one was even tighter, and I silently began to question my Partner’s sanity. But we hung another scent stick, and then gave a few calls. One single way far off grunt, then quiet. Hung around a spell to see if he might come in, but an hour and a half later with no other calls, we decided to extract and check out a couple other areas.

After a bit of a run, we offloaded the side by side and motored off to find another area he wanted to check. That was my kind of spot, and I liked the 4 – 500 yard range below me. Well suited to my buddy Ian Forbes’ old 270 Weatherby Mag I had chosen for this trip. Again hung scent sticks, and called a fair bit, but had no replies. Might be we are just a tad early, but the rut will go within the next couple of days…

We ended day one with a meal all the way back in town and a quick nightcap back at camp.

The next morning was drizzly and warm again, so we outwaited the sky water and set off late in the am. We decided to hit up the open area first, as that was where I had the most confidence in. Refreshed the sent sticks, added another and set about calling. Hours wandered by with no response whatsoever? At that point we decided to carefully reconnoiter the area. Splitting up (he was packing cross counter moose & elk tags) we covered a fair amount of ground. Back at the calling station we both noticed a lot of wolf and bear sign, but nary an elk or moose track. Confidence oozed away from that spot there and then.

With but little daylight left, we checked a couple of adjacent areas with no result. Back to camp.

Day three broke with a very heavy cats and dogs downpour. Literally HAMMERING down! But the air temperature was dropping, so at least that was headed in the right direction. Passing over the bridge again we noted how fast the river had risen yet again! Thankfully just about that time the sky water petered off and the weatherman suggested that would be it for the day.

Arriving on-site at our first (tight) area, we refreshed the sent sticks and added one more to each calling site. This time we did get responses! Three different bulls vocalized immediately after we did! One eventually closed to about 35 – 40 yards while the other two stayed out a little further. Despite our best sexy lady moose imitations, none would commit to coming out in the open. Just prior to dark we silently pulled the pin managing not to spook any of our customers along the way.

Checked the weather upon arrival back at camp. Morning supposed to be clear & cold. With responding bulls and the weather finally cooperating, I got my confidence back and suggested an early departure. And when the alarm went off at 4:30 am, I was already up and getting dressed. And away we went.

Arriving on-site again, it was indeed cold. Like 2 or 3 degrees! Fine for keeping you cool on the intense bushwhack, not so much for being on stand when you got to the calling area! Refreshed the scents, waited for the area to settle, then began the cow moose calling show. Soft the first go. A little louder each 25 minutes thereafter. I heard one of the bulls after the 3rd calling session, but he was a fair ways off yet. Then silence…

By now the cold had captured me, and I was literally shaking some. But I held the fort as did my partner. I finished my fourth calling session with my back tight against the bush so that I could maximize my 30 somethingish yard Kill Zone.

Then right behind me (and I mean RIGHT BEHIND ME!!) a twig snapped. Immediately followed by the sound of the heavy brush rubbing alongside a massive body. As in point blank. I gave a soft high pitched (young bull) grunt. And a massive head stuck around the corner of the screening bush to stare at me. At ten or twelve yards! Muscle memory and instinct immediately took over and before I knew what was happening the crisp trigger broke, sending a 140 grain Nosler Partition right between the old boy’s blinkers. I have never seen one go down as fast as that in my life!! WOW!! Called my partner who was a short ways off - moose DOWN, need help! How big he queried. Little sez I referring to the 42” rack I had seen. But when I walked up to him I was very much blown away by his size! A damn Clydesdale!! Another wow!

Methinks once you see the next two pix you will get the perspective on size:

0oA989g.jpeg

jCqxdfq.jpeg

Thankfully when he cratered, he managed to fall just outside of the heavy brushline onto a spot that allowed reasonable access – and small extension of the “clearing” I had been calling from.

He was so heavy it took us almost a half an hour to roll him onto his back so I could get to work on him. Got him field dressed and cooling as quickly as I could, then set back and admired both him and the fine day that was developing.

78Q4xTu.jpeg

Two points of note. We had bumped a grizzly coming in the first time, and my partner noted he had done the same with three of them and a big boar blackie in the same area during his last scouting foray. And, deciding to hunt out of my SUV, we had taken the side by side back to town the night before. So, my partner set off to town while I played bear bait. He would be gone a couple hours, and then would have to chainsaw a trail for the side by side to get back to me and the moose. I was chatting on the phone - rather loudly (to Ruppster) when I heard some brush breaking between me and the scent stick. CLOSE! WAY TOO CLOSE! Gotta Go! Safety off I slowly approached where I thought the noise had come from. Another Bull Moose! Only got a quick glimpse of his rack before he decided there was a safer place for him to be. Amazing how well that sent stick worked! Dead bull at my feet. Blood and guts everywhere. Me on the phone being loud. And the bugger came right in regardless! Simply Amazing!

Eventually I heard the closing side by side and knew that work was really about to begin. We managed to get the back half onto it’s deck with the employ of a come-along, ropes and a hell of a lot of cursing. That went up to the truck while I readied the front half for loading. Much more effort with that half and of course a lot more physical effort and cursing. But we did manage to get it loaded, so set off with the last of him which remained on the deck until we got into town. Slow trip!

Offloaded and began to prep him for hanging. I decided my razor sharp knife could use a little touch up for the skinning process, and set about to that. I was dangerously tired, and the blade slipped off the left side ceramic stick, plunging into the back of my left hand. Razor is right! Lost a pint of blood in seconds, then a mad rush to the hospital! Stitches inside and out. No painkillers (OUCH!) and sprung. Called to get retrieved and was informed my Partner would be a spell yet as he and his son were just wrapping up the moose.

K2ryraz.jpeg

By the way he said, that is one hell of an interesting way to get out of the skinning & cleaning chores!!

When we got back, all was in fine order and they had done a great job.

BffZlJV.jpeg

So, back to camp whereupon I tripped getting in the motorhome’s door, and sent more blood flowing. It wasn’t until 1:30 am I got that under control and went to bed. Damn long day after getting up at 4:30am, but even so I was inwardly grinning when I nodded off. Took mere seconds!

Hung around a couple of days after that, taking my Partner and his Lovely Lady to one of the finer restaurants in town as more of my way to say thanks! Had an excellent visit, including with his son, some neighbors and his son’s hunting partner. Hell of a fine way to renew old friendships!

Loaded the ½ moose in the SUV the night before travelling, then tossed a handful of well-sealed ice blocks on him to keep him cool for the run home.

Now he is hung in the local cold room. Cut in a couple weeks methinks. A single trail camera picture of him last year noted that his rack had shrunk by around 20% since then, marking him as 11 or 12 years of age. Best to hang as long as possible with those old boys.

Made burgers from him last night. Absolutely Delicious!

Yet another successful run by a couple of Aging Rednecks.
Even had we not taken a moose, the comradery and quality time was well worth the run alone.
The moose was simply icing on the cake, BIG icing, but icing nevertheless.

To my Good Buddy – Many MANY Thanks for the time we got to share, and indeed a very fine adventure yet again. Priceless Man – PRICELESS!!!

To Steve Rupp for the most excellent advice and tools of the trade. Made the trip Buddy! Again, MANY THANKS.

To Old Forbsey for handing off that fantastic 270 Weatherby into my aging hands – Your rifle continues to live up to it’s reputation Buddy! It was like having you along for the ride!! Wouldn’t have it any other way!

To the landowner who generously allowed us access, and when push came to shove let us cut a trail in to the kill site – Many Thanks Indeed! Very Sincerely Appreciated!

Today, the grins are all round!!

Cheers,
Nog

just looking at the picture I thought you did the stiches' yourself! wild story and congrats on the hunt

Damn that brings back good memories Matt. And I sure miss the eating of the swamp donkeys ( and deer, elk and even a bear and a boo. !) I and my partner took over the years. But the ability to put together a hunt as you guys did, will eventually get more difficult......so dont pass up an opportunity even if they are threatening to buy you a wheelchair !😜

Back