Opinions on 1994 Malibu182

Stizzla

Crew Member
I’m seriously looking At one very soon. It appears to be a clean hull with an early to mid 2000’s Yamaha 115hp and 8hp 4 strokes.
Any owners or ex owners able to chime in? I feel that 115 is on the lower end of the acceptable power spectrum, but I’m sure it will do the job.

Thanks y’all!

Stizz

Not a 185, but I did have a 175 and it had a 130hp Yamaha saltwater series on it. would do 45mph with 2 of us in the boat. I too would say it is a little under powered being a bigger boat and heavier motor

I know lots of DE 185s and 542’s come with factory 115’s so I imagine they will get it going. I also prefer the 150 on that size but honestly I don’t usually cruise more than 10-15 minutes to a fishing hole.

I’m seriously looking At one very soon. It appears to be a clean hull with an early to mid 2000’s Yamaha 115hp and 8hp 4 strokes.
Any owners or ex owners able to chime in? I feel that 115 is on the lower end of the acceptable power spectrum, but I’m sure it will do the job.

Thanks y’all!

Stizz

Power is fine. I run the 185 with 3.0LX (135hp) inboard and more than enough power. 182 is lighter/and especially outboard. I cruise at 20-22knots with 3 people onboard/full loaded at 3800rpm.

With a 115 your totally fine.

I like this boat more than any of my double eagles. Very safe boats, and interiors are better.

I found the Malibu faster then the 17.5DE with same motor, but the DE rode way, way nicer in the chop. The Malibu pounded at same speed in chop. Both good boats.

Good to know! Thanks man. My 175 DE had a 90 and I figured this Malibu with 115 would have similar performance.

In addition to power, any other common issues to look for with these hulls?

The Malibu bow is a little pointier then the DE. The Malibu may be a bit narrower. My Malibu was a hard top with forward 20 gallon fuel tank in bow. A pain to refuel on the water. The DE was soft top with fuel tank under the floor and fill was on the side. One thing to watch is where the control cables exit the transom. With some of the these boats going from 2stroke to 4stroke the heavier motors on the back and waves coming in the stern well water can go though that hole and start building up, so watch your pumps. Both boats I sealed the hole and put a new hole as high and forward as I could and still make the cables work. Dash on the DE was straight across, where the Malibu had a step I'm guessing for a step though windscreen but a great place to mount electronics. Like I say they were both great boats.

My buddy loves his. He just had it podded at Pearson Marine. Now it’s up at Port Boathouse getting a 150 hp Yamaha dropped on er. He likes the hull enough to put some money into it.

My buddy loves his. He just had it podded at Pearson Marine. Now it’s up at Port Boathouse getting a 150 hp Yamaha dropped on er. He likes the hull enough to put some money into it.
Maybe my siding guy will cut me a deal so I have some $ to put into this one.
Edit: maybe not!

I've seen it Stizz,needs all new upholstery.The big motor is a long shaft on a short shaft transom , so it's built up on an aluminum extension.The motors seem to run OK,probably need to have a good long run,been sitting a while.Joe is a real nice guy that unfortunately has lots of medical issues.It would get you fishing right away.

Back