Markranna

Wondering if anyone has direct experience in the difference between 1990s era and modern reverse chine Lifetimer hulls in the 18 foot range. Is the difference really that big in seakeeping and fuel economy? Is the ride actually that much rougher in the older style?
Looking at a 1992 19 footer with the classic 12 degree deadrise in stern. I am not after an absolute offshore fishing machine but I live in Ucluelet and still want something generally capable for the size.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.png
    IMG_1065.png
    540.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1066.png
    IMG_1066.png
    462.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1067.png
    IMG_1067.png
    884 KB · Views: 77
I live in Ukee.
My back hurts looking at this.
I did own an 88' lifetimer 17, although a center con and when I was young.
Sitting this far forward in what's really a small 19 with negligible V would be hard on the body. Many modern 18' aluminum will be much larger from a volume stand point than this old lifetimer.
This would be absolutely fine for fishing the can, beg, crow, etc. Just dont expect a good ride. Pick your days and many folks will wander down to wya in one of these too.
A 17 double eagle/ 17 hourston will be more seaworthy then this imo (I still own a 17 DE).
Good luck on your search!

As a previous Lifetimer owner, I was always curious why they characterized their hulls as having a reverse chine.

As far as I could tell, its more like a hard chine with a continuous L2x2 (maybe even L1.5x1.5) where the bottom plate transitions to side plate. Hardly the big 4" tapering reverse chines that you see on a Silver Streak or Bridgeview where the hull stops, transitions out flat (up to 4"), and then continuous up with side plating.

The main innovation that I saw in Lifetimer's hulls is that they incorporate lifting strakes below the waterline on either side. I liked these, and they seem rare on aluminum boats - my experience was that they tend to bite in and minimize roll when you cross waves at a diagonal. However - these are below the waterline and don't seem to function like a reverse chine.

Thanks for the insight! The new lifetimers do actually have a full reverse chine, it seems to be that the L on the old hulls was a sort of proto reverse chine. The new hulls also have a much deeper V in the stern, something like 18 rather than 12 degrees. How much did you use your old boat in outside waters? I am trying to get an idea of how horrific the pounding might in chop be or whether it’s really not such a big deal as some are making it out to be. Not having a great standing helm in this layout definitely makes things less forgiving.

Mine was a little 14ft Skiff built in 2019 and I used it mainly for near shore/lakes - but regularly out in 2-3ft chop/whitecaps with no issue. I've seen a local 16ft skiff as well (down at Burrard Civic, and I saw one in a shop as well) - same thing, no reverse chine. I've also kept a pretty close eye on the Lifetimer market because I was looking for a 18-20ft centre console and would have happily purchased a Lifetimer if a decent one came up. Nothing I saw had a 'true' reverse chine like a Bridgeview - they all seemed to have the hard chine I described.

Anyway, since the reverse chine usually lines up with the bottom paint line, so it can be hard to tell what's actually going on.

In any case, as far as I know the reverse chine doesn't make for a softer ride - it mainly interrupts spray to create a dryer ride. You crash into a wave, water carries up the sides of the hull and then gets deflected outward/downward by the reverse chine, rather than up/over the bow.

Last edited:
I agree though, the main issue with the boat in the photo is that the seating is so far forward. These boats are so light that when you hit a wave, they really pivot close to the back so you get a lot of up down movement the closer you are to the front. Its nice to have some (non-human) weight in the front to keep the bow down, but when its rough you want to be closer to the rear. I always like the centre console setup because you can stand, and take any bumps with your knees.

Last edited:
Here's a photo of a Lifetimer I would have love to have bought, but missed out on - must have been a custom.

Attachments

• 00x0x_BLsaT6qmAQ_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00x0x_BLsaT6qmAQ_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 80
I have a late 1980’s 16’ and it rides surprisingly well for not having the steepest deadrise and “fake” reverse chines. It seems a lot narrower and has less freeboard than the newer 16’ models.

Back