Ok people the girl needs help,please

• Thread starter Thread starter star
  • Start date Start date
S

star

I am not sure if this is the area to ask this question but here goes...I am buying a level wind reel for hubby.I have found one called a Trophy Reel.The company is by the looks of it in Surrey BC.
They are selling off older stock. But I dont know if its a fairly ok brand to buy or not.
The one Im looking at is a Baitcasting reel 10.4 oz, 5.2:1 gear ratio,3 stainless BB,Aluminun construct with star drag & brass main gear.
The other is a salt water reel,17.5 oz, 4.4:1 GR, 3 stainless BB,alum spool w/star drag
All of this means absolutely nothing to me.But it must mean something to someone.
I remember hubby talking about different level wind reels but silly me never paid alot of attention.I sure will next time.
He usually only fishes BC lakes and harrison bay but he wants to do the ocean stuff one day.
Any help in this area would be great. Just want to know if any one can tell me whether Im just throwing my money away or is this a good brand??
Thanks & sorry for sounding so dumb but hey I have to learn somewhere.

Good level wind reels are good, not good level wind reels are horrible. I don't know anything about the Trophy Reel so I cannot comment. However, I believe a Mitchell 300 spinning reel is the Chev of spinning reels and will do everything a fresh-water fisher wants to do. Mine lasted me about 20 years and would probably still be going if I hadn't gotten bored with it[:I]

Personally, I'd ask Hubby for a make and model that he'd like. No good getting him something he'll only use because he does not want to hurt your feelers[V]

Tom

When it comes to fishing gear,tackle etc I tell my parents just get me a gift certifcate and Ill pick out what I want may be an option.

Wolf

The trophy line of reels are distributed by redl sports. They are import knock offs.

A good quality reel is the calcutta line by Shimano. Can be pricy.

Thanks everone for your imput.I think I will just give him a certificate.Bye.

quote:Originally posted by salmon slayer

The trophy line of reels are distributed by redl sports. They are import knock offs.

A good quality reel is the calcutta line by Shimano. Can be pricy.

this line of "trophy" reels she is talking about is not distributed by Redl Sports. We don't bring in any sort of baitcaster or levelwind trolling reels labeled Trophy.

Back